Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Old West Apples

We had an altercation at school this morning. Or, as the kids say, "Did you see the fight?" No. Because it was not in my room, where I was busily preparing for the day. From their description, it sounded more like a bully beatdown, because one party did not fight back, but endured until the bell. And by "bell" I mean the appearance of a duty teacher to break it up. A few students had stepped in, but were unsuccessful in their efforts. Of course opinions were divided, depending on whether your demeanor leans toward bully or bullyee. I had to stop some from justifying the beatdown. Just because you think somebody it running their mouth about somebody else does not give you a reason to wail on that somebody.

"This is not the Old West, where you take matters into your own hands. This is modern society. We are an institution...an institution of learning, where rules are in place for the good of all people. Cheap entertainment is not a reason to stand by and do nothing. Get a teacher, or attempt to break it up. Before somebody gets hurt."

The noble breaker-uppers basked in the momentary glory of validation. And, most likely, returned to being persecuted snitches once they left my classroom.

All it takes is a handful of bad apples, people. A handful. And I'm not going to let them spoil my bunch.

5 comments:

Chickadee said...

I don't remember there being physical violence back when I went to school but I was bullied all through grade school. It seems harder and not safe these days.

A few weeks ago I was behind a school bus that would NOT move. It sat there and sat there. I was fuming until I saw there were 2 boys fighting in the back of the bus and the driver was pulling them apart...of course there were other students laughing and pointing.

What's with the in school violence? Are things that bad at home that these kids are resorting to physical violence? What's our future going to be like when these kids are adults?

It makes me sad and worries me.

labbie1 said...

After watching the latest episode of Harry's Law dealing with a similar subject, I really thought about it. You know, when I was growing up with two much older brothers, I was told "Don't start it if you can't take it". I am thinking we need a little more of that in kindergarten so that by the time the kids get old enough to really hurt each other, they have the message. I am seriously tired of the everyone has to get along thing and then the kids start getting hormones surging with the fists quickly following and the adults tasked with trying to corral them have no ability to discipline! Bring back the paddle--or tazer--cattle prod--whip--what have you for the teachers/administrators!

labbie1 said...

PS--you might check my Thursday's Things In A Row NASCAR post--toward the end to see what happens when we fight...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
Some of our problems originate with kids who are not from here. Oh, maybe they've been with us a year or so, but they're used to the way things were at their old school(s). There have been years without a single fight at the high school. And years with three in the first week. I feel very safe there.

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
The problem lies with parents justifying their every punch.

What were they, milquetoast gladiators? We've had actual hair ripped out, so much so that the custodian had to sweep it off the gym floor before the game could resume.

Call me a pessimistic conspiracy theorist, but that row of spotters had me saying, "Dang! That's a buttload of snipers!"