Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It Needs A Catchy Design, Like The Jolly Roger

Perhaps I've mentioned that both of my boys are quite content to let their nerd flag fly.

They are going to be in Nerdvana next week. That's not a made-up city in the Nation of Hillmomba. It's a state of being. Nerdvana. I wish I had coined that phrase myself. Like my old blog buddy coined the term WaistBoobs in reference to the breasts of elderly women. Not that she was focused on the breasts of elderly women. I think it stemmed from a traumatic trip to assist an aunt with augmenting her wardrobe. And Nerdvana came from those geniuses at King of the Nerds on TBS. I'm fresh out of made-up words today.

My boys are such nerds that on nerd dress-up day for homecoming, they don't dress up. Yet everybody thinks they did. Okay, maybe just The Pony. The #1 son has a bit of fashion flair. But it's still obvious that he's a nerd. Teachers seek him out to bring dead personal laptops back to life.

Yes, my little teenage nerds will be taking a day off from school to compete in a math contest. It's true. They're both mathletes. And that day away from school is not the big draw for them. They like school. But they are perfectly willing to ride a bus to a college, eat breakfast and lunch away from Newmentia, and TAKE A MATH TEST. For fun! I know.

Nerd flag whippin' in the breeze.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, the kind of day every kid would get jazzed about---an all-day math competition.

The days that I enjoyed math--I can count them on one hand and still have six fingers left.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I can see you as one of the befuddled. Like when I write "p. 44-49" on the board, and say we have six pages to read.

"Huh uh! You're wrong, Mrs. Hillbilly Mom! That's only FIVE pages to read!"

I commend them for doing the math in their head. But it's SIX pages to read: 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I always liked math. It comes in handy ......

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
For sniffing out bargains to use in your crafty projects, I presume. You could write some good word problems that would make Sioux quake in her Crocs.