Monday, March 25, 2013

It Was Almost Like The Old Days

Wonders never cease! The best snow day is a surprise snow day. Okay, that's not really true. The best snow day is ANY snow day.

I had kind of given up hope last night. All of our snow had melted out of the yard. This morning it had also melted off the back porch rail. The brick sidewalk showed only a grid of snow in the cracks. I checked my phone at 5:00 a.m.. No text. No missed call. I made The Pony's lunch and hopped in the shower. More like dragged my reluctant legs into the shower. Kept one ear on the house phone. No call.

After the shower, dressing for work, and waking Farmer H, I again checked my cell phone. No missed message. I sat down at my living room laptop to peruse the news of the night. Turned on Channel 2 as usual to hear headlines and the weather. The school closings were flashing two at a time on the bottom of the screen. I took a glance, because maybe there was slim hope if a neighboring district had called in. They were already past the saints. That's what takes so long when you're waiting for your low-alphabet school to come up. All the saints. And there was a school from our conference! I went back to my laptop screen. Then glanced at the TV again. IT WAS OUR DISTRICT! CLOSED!

Of course that set me to checking the TV news website. Then our school website. The house phone rang with the automated call that school was cancelled. About three minutes later, the cell phone rang once and went to voice mail. Some branches of that phone tree are SO impatient. Or simply don't want to talk to me in person. Next thing you know, I had a text that school was out.

The cart was put before many horses today. But it was still the best cart ever.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, these gifts from the gods are to be savored and cherished.

I hope you had fun.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
It started with an hour nap in Farmer H's La-Z-Boy, and kept getting better all day.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Great joy, an unexpected gift!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Like Christmas morning, and that last present jammed way back under the tree.