Sunday, October 12, 2014

How Ya Gonna Keep Him Back At The Mansion, After He's Seen No Lights?

The Pony enjoyed a night on the town Friday evening. Not THIS town. Another town in Hillmomba. It was a spur-of-the moment deal. He approached me after my duty, as soon as I was back in the classroom, taking a load off my knees, finishing the grading of papers to start the weekend with nothing carried over until Monday.

"Oh. Mom. Do you think Dad would take me to Curly's church for a gaming night?"

"Probably. I guess you'll have to ask him. What time?"

"I think it starts at 6:00, and goes until 10:00 or 10:30."

"Well, he may not want you to stay the whole time. He has to get up for work tomorrow at the regular time. And I can't come get you, because I don't know my way around out there, and those car lights bother my eyes even in the daytime."

"I know. I'll send him a text."

Let the record show that The Pony rarely asks for anything. He's content with his computer and his games. He does his homework at school. He is at the top of his class. And he's very helpful around the Mansion. If anyone deserves a night on the town, it's The Pony.

Forty-five minutes later, he still had no response from Farmer H.

"I'll send Dad another text. In case that first one didn't go through."

"Yeah. He usually checks his phone before he leaves."

On the way home, Farmer H called me.

"I got this text from your son that says, 'HELLO!' Farmer H pronounced it in a sarcastic manner.

"He has been trying to reach you. He was just seeing if it went through. Didn't you get another one?"

"Yeah. I was in a meeting. He wants to go to Curly's church for a game night? I guess I can take him. I'll have to turn around and leave as soon as I get home."

"Pony. Dad can take you. Do you want food, or will you get something there?"

"I don't know. That last time, we ordered pizza. I might eat a little something before I go."

"Is this like a youth group, or what's going on?"

"It's games. Like video games. About 7 or 8 of us are going to play. The church has a lot of TVs, and we can all play against each other instead of playing people online. I think Curly and the twins asked the pastor if they could use the church for it. They just asked me to go during 7th hour. And I though, 'Hm. Why not?' You know you're always wanting me to get out and do things."

"Yes. I hope you have a good time."

Farmer H and The Pony took care of the animals and gathered the eggs. Then Farmer H drove him to the event. Farmer H dropped by The Devil's Playground to buy some water for his BARn refrigerator, then came home to loll around. He left around 9:30 to go pick up The Pony. At 10:10, he called me.

"I have looked all over for your son. He's not at the church. I don't know where he is. There's no lights on here. Only two cars are in the parking lot. It looks like the door is open. He won't answer his phone. It goes straight to voice mail."

"Maybe they left to get something to eat. Or maybe he went to somebody's house until time to get picked up. I can try to call him on the house phone, but I don't think that will make a difference. I don't know what I can do from here. Just wait there for him. He knows you're picking him up."

"I have to get up for work tomorrow. He needs to answer his phone."

"I'm sure he's there somewhere."

Ten minutes later, Farmer H called back.

"I found him. He said his phone doesn't work under ground. He was down in the basement in a room with no lights, playing video games with Halfer and some girl. The door to the church was open, so I went in. Curly and one of those twins was playing video games on the screen behind the puulllll-pit!"

"He said the whole purpose of the night was to play games. Are you on your way home?"

"He's gathering his stuff. He said he'll be out in a minute."

The Pony is very appreciative of any slack we allow in his lead. He thanked both of us for allowing him to go, and said he had a great time.

I'm not sure Farmer H would say the same.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I once hung around Columbia all evening--while my son hung out with a girl. It was a school night for me. He slept the whole way home while I tried to stay awake while I drove...

The things we do for our kids.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Farmer H would do almost anything for his boys, because he wants them to have a better childhood than what he had.

It almost makes me regret the lack of slack I cut him here at the Mansion.

Almost.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

He is a good dad! But, I guess playing video games behind the pulpit must have given him pause?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, he is. Just this weekend he saw a commercial for some kid toy, and said, "Wouldn't it be neat if the boys were still little like that?"

The pulpit set him back. Just the way he pronounced it, I could tell he thought it was scandalous. And he's not even a churchgoer!