Friday, September 29, 2017

A Shocking Discovery

Thursday morning, I was getting ready to leave for the bank, to get Farmer H's handyman check from Bev cashed. Standing by the sink, stuffing the check in my purse next to my scratcher winners (few and low-yielding lately), something over by the windows caught my eye.

When we hosted RetirementPartyPalooza, I cleared some items off the counter to make room for the spread of vittles. I had a small Amazon box of odds and ends. In my haste to get things ready, I just set the box on the kitchen chair by the windows. It also holds two Devil's Playground deli containers of Chex Mix for my favorite gambling aunt next time I see her, the Coke bottle with my name on it that Farmer H has stuffed with his cookie wrapper, a miscellaneous charging cord, and Mr. Shocky.


My eye had been attracted to a red flashing light. The light on Mr. Shocky. Let the record show that Mr. Shocky has not been used for about 6 months. He has rested comfortably on the kitchen counter under my trucker cap that I wear for walking when the sun is bright, or rain is falling. Mr. Shocky was turned off after his last use. Nobody had been using Mr. Shocky. I even asked Farmer H this morning, and he said he didn't even know where Mr. Shocky was.

Let the record show that Mr. Shocky was not turned on when I put him in that box way back during RetirementPartyPalooza. In fact, in trying to turn him off Thursday morning, I realized that I am no longer familiar with his inner workings. Besides, I come upstairs in the wee hours of the morning every night, run water from the sink into my bubba cup, and have not noticed a red flashing light from the box on the chair.

Somehow, Mr. Shocky turned himself on Wednesday night. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the walking sounds in the kitchen that I heard from the basement.

Maybe Farmer H is sleepwalking and training Jack. Yeah. That's easier to believe than another scenario.
________________________________________________________________________

I took several pictures trying to capture the flashing red light. Thought I had it, but it didn't show up. It's that little line above the +2 button. Also, the screen was showing a '2' even though it looks blank in the picture. I guess my phone's flash overpowered it.

5 comments:

River said...

Perhaps that's shocky's way of asking for a new battery?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That may be. Mr. Shocky doesn't make much of a noise at all when he...um...SHOCKS! So he's not going to ask for a new battery by beeping like the smoke detector.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Living in a house with security monitors and all manner of battery operated stuff, I doubt I would even notice a flashing light .... something is always blinking at me.

Sioux Roslawski said...

A ghost that's interested in training a dog? I need one of those...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Wow! You really go all-out on keeping tabs on HeWho so he doesn't escape! Because, you know, you can't be away from him for two seconds without pining for his return...

***
Sioux,
If they were as easy to catch as that "Ghostbusters" movie leads you to believe, I would send you one. Free of charge.