Friday, September 15, 2017

The Other Brothers Darryl

We have an identity crisis simmering here in Hillmomba! An identity crisis not seen since George Foreman named his sons, or Larry introduced his brothers to everyone at the Stratford Inn on Newhart.

In a chance encounter with HOS down at the low water bridge by the mailboxes today, I sleuthed some new information. You know how the neighbor dog, Copper, hangs out at the Mansion? And we have never learned his real name? You'd think we might have heard it once or twice over the past year, what with living right next door to his owner, and owners having a habit of calling their pets...especially when their pets are never at home, but are hanging out at the neighbors. But we haven't. No clue, so he's Copper to me, for his bright pennyish color.


HOS was waiting to pick up his son off the school bus a couple days ago. People park down by the mailboxes, because the bus doesn't drive up in this private enclave. Our neighbor was waiting as well, for her grandchildren, who live with her. HOS got to talking, and mentioned her dog running with Jack and Juno, and following Farmer H on the Gator, and sometimes showing up at HOS's house with them. He asked the dog's name, and you're not going to believe this, but Copper's real name is...

JACK!

I was flabbergasted to discover this new fact. At no time has Copper ever responded to the name "Jack." Doesn't turn his head when I call Jack a good boy. Doesn't look ashamed when I chastise Jack for retaliating against the cat that growls at him. Doesn't come running to me when I call Jack for his evening snack. In fact, he does not respond to "Copper," either. Nor "Doggie." Nor "Buddy." It's as if he's the dog with no name.

So now we have the neighbor's dog virtually living here, and he has the same name as our own dog. I'll bet the neighbors wondered where I get off calling their dog every night, and yelling at him on occasion.

But that's not the end of the identity crisis. The guy who lives next door to HOS? The one who threatened to shoot Farmer H one time, and then threatened to shoot the county deputy who responded to that report, and earned himself a hefty lawyer fee to stay out of trouble? HIS name is also Jack.

Seems like you can't toss a landscaping lava rock in Hillmomba without hitting a Jack.
_________________________________________________________________________

Alternate Title: He Romps Through Hillmomba With The Dog With No Name

6 comments:

River said...

I think "Copper" suits him better because of his colour and you should continue calling him that, even out loud so he gets used to it. Then neighbour can start wondering where his dog is when he is out calling for "Jack" who doesn't answer because he believes he is "Copper". Maybe he will learn to keep his dog at home, but I wouldn't count on that.

Anonymous said...

As in Jack the Ripper, Jack of all trades or Jack off?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I agree! He really is copper colored, even though he's wet in that picture. I've got another Copper story, but I don't want to bore people with too much Copper at once!

***
fishducky,
I think all are pretty much on target.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

He does not look like a Jack, I think Copper fits him better. Seems like he is at your house more than his owner's, so Copper it is.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Or Jumpin' Jack Flash. Or Jack-Should-Be-in-a-Box.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, he does NOT look like a Jack! Or maybe I'm too used to my little Jack. He shall be COPPER while he's on my property!

***
Sioux,
You'll never believe what COPPER-JACK had the nerve to do at the retirement party! He SHOULD be in a box...

That story is coming up.