Sunday, September 17, 2017

Never Though You'd Hear Mrs. HM Complain About THEM, Did You?

I've got a bee in my bonnet! A bee put there by one of my favorite entities, the Missouri Lottery commission.

Only yesterday, I clicked on their website, to the news releases, and saw THIS:

A recent scam is prompting the Missouri Lottery to issue a warning for everyone to be weary of situations that seem too good to be true. The scheme involved a scammer posing as a lottery official and calling an individual claiming they had won a large Mega Millions prize. In order to claim the prize, the victim was instructed to open a bank account and deposit funds over an extended period of time to cover taxes and fees.

SWEET GUMMI MARY!

I'm not the grammar police, but I'd like to think I'm entitled to make a citizen's correction when I see violations in the usage of proper English. Really, Missouri Lottery? You want to warn everyone to be WEARY? I, for one, am TIRED of people misusing this word! You don't even have to look it up in a dictionary any more! You can type that word into your phone and get an immediate definition.

The word you are looking for is WARY!

WARY, WARY, WARY, by cracky!

Don't fall victim to the improper word usage of the Missouri Lottery.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

They're also doing something weird with the verb tenses... At least that's my opinion.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yes, or else they left out a second sentence with a few specifics about an actual incident.

River said...

Clearly they didn't do well in English class while at school. But at least they are warning people of the scam.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, the warning is good. You'd think such a high-profile website would have a more thoroughly proofread press release procedure.

Anonymous said...

As the Lottery Commission would probably say, "We don't talk good"!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
It wouldn't surprise me. But it WOULD end up on my blog!