Friday, June 15, 2018

Not Gonna Last Long At 90 Degrees

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom isn't the only one who likes a sweet treat. 


On The Pony's first day of classes for summer semester, he took advantage of a free ice cream. I don't know if he built it himself, or if he told somebody what to put in it. From the looks of it, I'm guessing that this treat is Pony-concocted.

"I'm currently picking up a free ice cream. It's only 90 degrees today, so it feels cool enough to walk home."

Let the record show that The Pony usually rides the student shuttle from his apartment complex. In fact, he doesn't even have a campus parking permit for summer.

"There is a banana in here somewhere."

"Nom nom!"

"The banana is overripe. Urgh."

"They're sweeter that way."

"But I don't like that. I like them green."

"Too bad, so sad. You'll take what they give you."

Funny how Farmer H likes his bananas green, too. And tried to walk home from back-creek neighbor Bev's house. At least The Pony didn't get lost in the woods.

6 comments:

River said...

Oh bananas... that elusive point between fully ripe and sweet, and over ripe and a bit urk is so hard to find. I don't like them green, but apparently many people do. They buy them green and think they're supposed to be eaten that way "while they're fresh". No one seems to remember the old days when fruit was allowed to ripen properly.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't like them green. They need a few dark spots on the peel. Not jelly-fied ripe, but soft and sweet. Not so far gone that you'd use them for banana bread. Save A Lot sometimes has a cart full of going-brown bananas up front, giving them away for free. They don't have many takers.

Anonymous said...

I like bananas when they're solid (but not crunchy) before they get brown spots!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Those firm, non-spotted bananas are okay, but they give me heartburn.

River said...

If I saw free bananas I'd take heaps and make banana cake to fill my freezer. When bananas are brown spotted on the skins is the perfect ripeness to mash and feed as baby food, sweet and easily digested. All of my four had bananas as a first food along with yoghurt and home made apple sauce. None of them liked that namby-pamby baby cereal either, They had porridge and weetbix, but not together of course.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I guess us Save A Lot shoppers are not such good bakers. My boys pretty much ate anything I shoveled into them as babies, then grew finicky once they reached school age.