Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Big Salad

Let the record show that Farmer H knew he was having a big salad for supper on Friday evening, along with some leftover pizza from Thursday. He knew it, he was fine with it, I asked him a million questions to pin him down...and STILL, there was an issue.

"So, you'll be having the leftover pizza, and a big salad. Do you still want chicken in your salad?"

"No. The pizza and salad are fine."

"Since you're having the pizza, do you want your big salad in the leaf bowl like last time, or in a regular bowl?"


"That leaf bowl is fine."


"I'm putting in lettuce, mushrooms, cheese, boiled eggs, and tomatoes. Do you want some red onion like last time?"

"Yeah. Onion is good."

"Will you be eating both at once? Or one before the other?"

"Both at the same time."

"Okay. I'll put the pizza in the oven to crisp the crust right before the salad is ready."

See? I had all the details I needed for proper preparation of Farmer H's meal. I prepared it accordingly. I called him in to put the dressing and croutons on his salad, then took the pizza out of the oven. Everything just as planned. I set my salad in FRIG II, so I could talk to Farmer H before he left for the auction.

I could hear him crunching the pizza crust, so I knew it was warmed the way he liked it. He ate the salad. We chatted. I noticed his other two pizza pieces languishing on the paper plate on the table by the remote, as Farmer H chowed down on the salad from the La-Z-Boy.

"I thought you were going to eat it all together. Your pizza will be cold. And not crisp."

"It's fine. I ate one of them. I'll eat the other two after my salad."

About 30 seconds later, Farmer H set down his leaf bowl, about 1/3 still full of salad, on the table.

"Whew! You made too much salad!"

SERIOUSLY???

You might recall that I had asked him if he wanted THAT MUCH SALAD! In the leaf bowl! I had flat-out asked if he'd rather have it in a regular bowl. Which holds less than the leaf bowl.

"Well...it's no good to keep, once you've put the dressing on it."

"I know."

"So...you want me to throw it out?"

"No. Well. I might eat some more of it later."

"Like when you come back from the auction?"

"Yeah."

"So...I should just cover it and put it in the fridge?"

"Nah. Go ahead and throw it out."

This might give you an inkling why Genius calls me The Short-Temper Cook.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Nothing is more delicious than some salad with dressing on it that's been sitting out getting all room temperature and gloppy...

Yum.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Who got credit for the big salad?

River said...

Awww, heck. Stop asking. Just make the food, set it in front of him in reasonable amounts and leave him to it. If he wants that leaf bowl just half fill it since it holds too much.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yum yum, gotta get me some(!) Or as Genius would say, "NOM NOM!" Sarcastically.

Of course, Genius eats his salad in one sitting, as long as he gets the ingredients he requested, like NO PEAS in a 7 Layer Salad, and Blue Cheese Dressing instead of the standard MAYO, and EXTRA BACON.

Sioux 2,
I took the credit, because I handed him the big salad. Although he paid for it by giving me something to complain about on my blog.

***
River,
I think you're onto something. I can start restricting his portions, until he thinks to ask for more.