Monday, August 27, 2018

A Tale Of Two Vittles, Part 1: The Pinwheel

Everybody knows that Mrs. HM is crazy about Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels. She makes a trip to The Devil's Playground twice a week to get them. They have been her standard lunch for at least a year now. Woe is Mrs. Hillbilly Mom when The Devil is fresh out of her pinwheels!

I was quite lucky a couple days ago, scoring FOUR of those delicious delicacies. Sure, they expire within two days, usually, but I'm not averse at eating past-date pinwheels. If the lettuce is too limp, I just peel that part off. As you can see, I'm not all that picky about my pinwheels. It's better than making them myself, which requires effort, too-thick tortillas, and wafered ham instead of bacon (which is just too much trouble).

There is one infraction where I must draw the line, though. I expect to have CHICKEN in my Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels!


Yeah! I'm not all that picky! I'd even eat the limp lettuce on this one. And forgive the lack of bacon. But WHERE'S THE CHICKEN? That little sliver is hardly enough to keep a mouse alive!

I unroll my pinwheels to place the good parts on the end of the tortilla strip with enough left to wrap around, then tear off the excess tortilla. Sometimes I eat it afterwards with some crunchy BBQ potato chips, and sometimes I give the extra to the dogs. Thus I can see the shenanigans going on inside my Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels.

The Truth in Blogging Law requires me to inform you that the other three pinwheels in this pack had the right amount of all ingredients. But imagine how much money The Devil will save if 25% of his pinwheels have no bacon and only a sliver of chicken!

I'm mad as Not-Heaven, but I'll probably still keep on taking it. Not worth a trip back to The Devil's Playground to complain to a 20-year-old deli worker. Not worth making my own pinwheels every day for a year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought of that old lady asking, "WHERE'S the beef?"

River said...

Is that yellow ochre coloured stuff cheese? It looks like cheese. Do you ever think you might try something different for lunch or do you prefer to stick with what you know you like?

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Yes. I really needed her. Clara Peller, I think her name was.

***
River,
It IS cheese. I stick with what I like. Then I don't have to think about what I'm having. When I worked in the city at the unemployment office, I took the same lunch for about 2 years. It was a slice of cheddar cheese on a plain bagel, with yellow mustard, and a side of pretzel sticks. It was delicious EVERY DAY! I actually looked forward to it.

River said...

I'm the same with peanut butter, plus real butter on soft white bread. Not everyday at home, but if I'm going somewhere and take a sandwich, that's it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I completely get it. When The Pony was in school, he wanted the same lunch every day, his being a partially frozen bottle of water, and a cold hot dog (it's no different than bologna, I guess) on a bun, with a mini bag of Cheetos.