Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Tale Of Two Vittles, Part 2: The Pie

Everybody knows that Mrs. HM is not a gourmet 5-star Michelin chef. However, she can open a can, and snip the top off a bag of frozen food with the best of them.

Last week, I had a hankerin' for Chicken Pot Pie. Oh, I've never made it. Don't even order it in a restaurant like Cracker Barrel on the rare once-every-ten-years that Farmer H takes me there (usually with a gift card). It's not even like we had a cold snap. But for some reason, I was fixated on Chicken Pot Pie.

My head danced with not-sugar-plums, imagining what goes into a Chicken Pot Pie. I've eaten the individual frozen pies back in my single days. I know that I wanted a nice crust, and the insides had to include diced carrots, potatoes, and peas. Along with some gloopy kind of filling so it wasn't dry. Oh, yeah...and chicken! I formulated what I thought would be a good recipe:

canned white meat chicken
frozen peas/carrots
frozen diced hash brown potatoes
cream of chicken soup
ground black pepper
diced onion
chopped garlic
crust
sour cream (thanks to the innernets, when I looked up recipes)

Yes, I'd hit all the major ingredients listed in quick Chicken Pot Pie recipes, and along with their not-mentioned garlic and onion and black pepper. I must say, the sour cream was a good addition to my gloopy part.

Of course Mrs. HM was not going to make her own crust. So a storebought one from the cooler section worked out just fine.


Mmm...I wish you had Taste-a-Blogsion! It was DELICIOUS! Farmer H was coming back to the kitchen for more before I even had mine in the bowl.

Let the record show that I made a big pie. It's bottomless. I used a 9 x 13 glass pan, coated with butter. Mixed all those ingredients together in a bowl, giving it a good stir. Then poured the filling into the glass pan, and topped with my storebought crust (it took two of the 9-inch crusts, but they came two-in-a-pack anyway). I poked a few holes in the crust, but not quite big enough, because in the last two minutes, my filling was bubbling up at the edges of the crust. I got it out of the oven before any leaked, though! I baked it at 425 (as the pie crust said) for 30-40 minutes. I started checking it at 30 minutes, and took it out at about 35, due to the bubbling, and crust looking ready.

Yes, I mangled mine taking it from pan to bowl. But did I mention that it was DELICIOUS?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds DELICIOUS!!

River said...

I've heard of chicken pot pies but never actually seen or eaten one. It does look yummy, but I wouldn't use a store bought crust unless it was made with real butter and even then I'd be more inclined to make my own. But I won't be doing it anytime soon, I'm getting kind of lazy these days.

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Let the record show that it WAS. And still is. There are some leftovers left. Even though Farmer H made himself hot dogs for lunch on Monday at 11:30 a.m., and a big bowl of chicken pot pie at 3:30 p.m. Said it was his supper, because he was going to an auction.

***
River,
Yeah, I'm pretty lazy, which is why I use the storebought ingredients!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I make my own, too. Usually with what is left of a roasted chicken. Those frozen ones aren't as good.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Well...some frozen stuff is better than what MRS HM makes on her own!