Saturday, July 8, 2023

A Heartbreaking Case Of Backstabbing Coincidence

Earlier this week, I was at the checkout in Country Mart, buying pork steaks for Farmer H to grill on Tuesday. The former deli gal, who now works as a cashier during the remodel, always talks to me about scratchers. 

"Did you hear? That guy just won $1000 dollars!"

"WHAT? No! I saw him walking around front, talking to the service desk lady. But I didn't know what was going on. He seemed really happy. Not complaining!"

"Yeah. He just won $1000 on that new green $5 ticket."

"NO! I was going to buy one of those on my way out! Since you don't have my $5 crosswords in the machines any more, I've been buying that new one. It's my favorite color, and I like a multiplier ticket."

"Well. He just got it. Out of the left machine."

"Oh. I was planning to buy mine out of the right machine. So I guess that's still safe. Even though I doubt I win $1000, it won't be an automatic loser."

I was really jealous at first. I buy out of those machines every day! I usually buy Genius's tickets there every week. But I felt better (a little) knowing that I had not planned on buying that new green ticket out of the left machine that day. Oh, well. That guy was meant to win, and not me.

Here's the thing. I always know what ticket I'm buying where, before I start to town. There are some days when I know the denomination of the ticket, and decide I'll pick when I look at them. Sometimes a certain ticket looks BRIGHTER to me, and I take that one.

Anyhoo... aside from almost being slammed into next week by a crazy Honda Backer-Upper at the Gas Station Chicken Store on Wednesday, I had a little GOOD luck that day. A ticket I had bought inside before the ramming was a big winner:


Have I mentioned how I love a multiplier ticket? This $10 one had a 20X symbol and a $5 prize, for a $100 winner. So early in the roll! Ticket # 8. I can't buy that now until they finish it with ticket 59, because I don't think there will be a bigger prize than that $100.

Oh, and the $10 ticket I bought at Casey's before heading over to the Gas Station Chicken Store was also a big winner:


This one had the WIN ALL symbol, and all 20 of the prizes were $5, for a $100 winner. So another ticket I won't buy for a week or two at that store.

Sometimes, I have a knack for picking those winners before I even leave home. Not sure why my knack left me hangin' on that $1000 winner that was right under my nose!

4 comments:

River said...

I had my own jealous moment, standing in line to collect $11.75 from the weekly draw, the man in front of me collected $400.
I put my $11.75 towards the cost of next week's ticket because no one won the first division prize and it jackpotted.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, that could take a little excitement out of winning $11.75. I was thrilled last week when The Pony won $12 on his draw ticket ($2 on the Easy Match, and $10 on the actual draw). Haven't cashed it in yet. He wants to build up his winnings for a big scratcher.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

It was just his turn to win. Remember your nemesis Even-Steven .... And you didn't do so bad.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, I really don't mind when other people win. It's just more painful when it's on a ticket I buy regularly, from a place I buy them! But my plan was not for that machine on that day, so the win truly was meant for that guy.

Can't complain! I've been doing all right, especially considering that ticket I bought for The Pony!