Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Senior Center Serves Up A Desiccated Nothingburger Instead Of A Platter Of Fat Juicy Gossip

I know you've been eagerly awaiting the GOSSIP that Farmer H was teased with from one of his Senior Center cronies. He was trying to guess what it might be about.

"Well, I overheard her getting questioned by the other lady that serves the food. Something about 3 extra dinners that didn't get picked up. The gal that texted me takes home what's left. She said the people called them in, but didn't show up to get them. The other lady said nobody called them in. They have no way of knowing, though."

"Huh. I'm surprised about that, as loosey-goosey as they are, giving YOU extra food and leftovers all willy-nilly."

"I don't know if that's it, but if I had to guess, that would be it. I don't know of nothin' else going on that they'd want to keep the other lady from hearing about."

So... Farmer H really had no idea, other than a woman texted him, saying that she and her husband had something to tell him, that couldn't be heard by the other serving lady.

I forgot to ask on Friday night, and also on Saturday morning. But on the way to town, I met SilverRedO down by the mailboxes, on our gravel road beside the creek. In that annoying manner of Hillmomba denizens, we stopped our vehicles side-by-side, blocking the road, to have a chat.

"Hey, what was that gossip you were supposed to hear at the Senior Center yesterday?"

"Oh. Just that one lady there has been talking to that goofy new guy who started eating lunch there, and THEY ARE GOING ON A DATE."

"That's IT? Nothing about missing food?"

"Nope. That's all. Just that one of the gals is going on a date with the goofy guy."

"Why is THAT a secret?"

"I don't know. But that's all she had to tell me."

Huh. I guess when you get old, the concept of GOSSIP kind of changes...

4 comments:

River said...

I used to love hearing gossip when I worked. No one ever told me any, but I got good at listening in when I shouldn't. But I never felt comfortable passing it on since I wasn't supposed to have heard it in the first place.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't understand the secrecy of some lady going out with a new guy who started having lunch there. They are both single, so it's not a scandal. Not sure why that gal thought it would be some big deal to tell Farmer H.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

What a let-down! I wouldn't even call that gossip!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I KNOW! It's even worse, because I had two readers depending on me to dish up the gossip!