Thursday, July 27, 2023

Inner Secrets Of The Milk Chocolate Marshmallow

Okay. Mrs. HM took one for the team. Bit into one of those milk chocolate marshmallows that Farmer H bought three bags of at the auction. They weren't even hardly expired! Best by 06/14/23! 

Here's what one looked like out of the bag. I didn't open it! The bag had been breached before I took one.


The texture was just like it looks! Kind of stiff and stale. You can see a vein of milk chocolate something running through it.

First I took a tentative bite, just to see inside. It wasn't enough.


I had to take another bite to get to the bottom of this mystery, and the middle of that marshmallow.


Yum, yum, get you some. NOT! I can't explain the texture. It was kind of like dried-out canned frosting. Only crumbly, not creamy. Not a bad taste, but not a good taste. The filling took up about 1/3 of the marshmallow. 

Yes. I ate it all. I was going to throw away the rest after one bite, but it was sticky, and when I touched it, the sticky got on my hands, and I didn't want to be grabbing the doorknob, since those little ants had been trying to find a new home during the week of downpours. Finally got rid of them, not taking a chance!

Anyhoo... there were five left in the bag when I took one out. A bag holds 12! I don't know when Farmer H has been eating them! I took the picture of the bag on Sunday night, after he was in bed. I'm pretty sure that bag was still full on Tuesday while I was sitting with HIPPIE at the kitchen table. As I type this, it's Wednesday night. Which means Farmer H has eaten seven of those stuffed marshmallows in about 24 hours. I'm shocked that he's not in a coma! I have been feeling queasy since I ate that one. Too sweet! I might as well dip myself in corn syrup and impale myself on sugar cane.

I suppose if you ever get a bargain on these stuffed marshmallows at the auction, you might want to buy some. You can always give them away as bingo prizes to senior citizens.

6 comments:

Rae said...

I was trying to imagine what those marshmallows were like. I thought maybe there was just a little strip of chocolate in the middle. I had no idea that a third of it was almost packed with chocolate. I have to say it did not look appetizing at all. I was grossed out by the king size marshmallows, without chocolate, that they have in the store. I'll stick with the regular size and the mini marshmallows for my consumption. I thought they might be super sweet, like you said. Kind of makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
So true. It was NOT appetizing at all! I would not call that real chocolate. You are so lucky that I tasted it so you never have to!

River said...

Thank you for doing this, now we know not to buy them if we ever see any for sale. It's unlikely down here anyway. I wonder if they would be better when toasted so the whole thing becomes a bit melty. The pack does have that image of one marshmallow toasting another so they probably are made for toasting.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You're welcome. I'm selfless like that! I do imagine they are made for toasting. I guess it's like leaving out a step for S'Mores. Just plop that hot stuffed marshmallow on a graham cracker! Too messy for my tastes. Not sure I'd even take THAT ONE for the team!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Your excellent description triggered my gag reflex, then the pictures ..... it's like I could actually taste it. I would have spit it out and then hunted down something to camoflage the aftertaste!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Sorry. I strive for realism! It ain't always pretty! I had water available, but was too lazy to get up to spit it out, or get something else. All that I had on the table was my cereal, and I didn't want to ruin my future enjoyment of that by associating it with the marshmallow.