Monday, July 31, 2023

There Is The Edge Of Insanity, And Then There Is The Abyss Below FRIG II's Top Freezer Shelf

With Country Mart's imminent temporary closure, I have taken the opportunity to stock up on a few things. One being giant bags of frozen french fries. Sometimes you just want an easy side dish for supper. It's cheaper to buy the 5 lb bags of fries. We get two kinds, because Farmer H likes the crinkle-cut version, and I prefer the skinny shoestring style. There were already two bags in the freezer, slightly less than half full. I figured that they'd be used before the store reopens in 11 weeks, so I got more. In fact, the checkout gal thanked me. "I didn't know how I was going to fit them in with everything else. They are an oddball size." I guess she means in packing to transfer the goods to other stores.

Anyhoo... Farmer H was there to help carry in the groceries. I gave him that bag with the fries, because it's heavy. He seems able to carry stuff now. So it wasn't a hardship for him. He even started putting things away as I was giving the dogs their treat. Oh, don't think he's turned over a complete new leaf. More like one of those tiny individual leaflets off a Weeping Willow stalk. Still, I appreciate the help. Mostly...

As I opened FRIG II's freezer to get ice for Farmer H's Wild Turkey and Diet Caffeine-Free Cola, I saw that the inside was dark! I was about to mention it to him when

CLUNK!

A bag of frozen battered fish took a dive from the top shelf to the kitchen floor. That's not good for frozen battered fish. It gives new definition to "battered." Probably broke those individual fish planks into little nuggets. Oh, and if you haven't noticed, the fish planks are now barely the size of fish sticks! They used to be robust long triangle shapes, but now have shrunk, while the price has gone up.

Anyhoo... I started expressing my displeasure to Farmer H, over perching that bag of fish on the edge of the shelf like it was a baby bird ready to leave the nest. Asking why he shoved the fries in all willy-nilly, rather than pulling the two already-open bags to the front, since they'll be used first. And asking if he hit the light bulb, since the freezer was now completely dark. Of course all I got was denial from Farmer H. But you knew that already.

In shifting the two 5 lb bags of fries out onto the cutting block, to get to the open bags, and reconfigure that shelf, I saw that nothing was wrong with the freezer light. Farmer H had merely shoved those open bags of fries up against the light. It was on, but couldn't shine through the bags pressed against it!

Problem solved once again by Mrs. HM. Though she probably can't put fish portions back together again.

2 comments:

River said...

Serve the broken fish portions to Farmer H, it's his fault they got broken. If he has any complaints he can send them to me. By carrier pigeon. He probably thought with his male mind that since you already had chips (fries) on the top shelf that's where everything else should go to since everything else was mostly fries.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That IS the place they go. He's just so lazy about everyday stuff like this. Does it when he puts bread away, too. Shoves the open stuff to the back. And when I put five Diet Mountain Dews in their shrink wrap on FRIG II's top shelf, because he "forgot" and wouldn't have cold soda when he got home... he later took them out of the wrapper, but set them in front of the leftovers I needed to get out and warm for his supper.

He'd better not complain, because I am NOT taking those fish pieces to the carrier pigeon place for him!