Monday, November 4, 2019

The Mystery Of The Time Crook

I descended to my lair Sunday afternoon at 3:00, fully expecting my wall clock to read 4:00. That's because I didn't bother to turn it back one hour Saturday night to end Daylight Savings Time. I reset the clock out in the TV area shortly after 2:00 a.m., but I didn't go back into the lair. Farmer H had reset the upstairs clocks, save for the microwave, which I did Sunday morning. Imagine my surprise when I found THIS in my lair:


Yes. Surprise enough to take a picture of my wall clock. Let the record show that the power had not been off. Which doesn't matter anyway, because this is a battery-operated clock. At the time I took the photo, the actual time was 3:01. It's in the time stamp of the picture, if you know how to do that thing. Mine shows up in the specs when I hover over it in my PICTURES file on New Delly.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN is going on here? Upon further inspection at 3:20 (real time), I noticed that the picture hanging under the clock was askew again. A while back, I mentioned a freak phenomenon with pictures in my dark basement lair. Looking closer, it appears that the pictures to the left of the clock are normal, but the one on the right is also askew again, after I'd straightened them back in July. You might not notice from the perspective of the photo, but that line demarcating one sheet of fiberboard from the other is most certainly plumbed straight. The picture is not.


How does a clock reset itself exactly 30 minutes back? Or stop running for exactly 30 minutes? Going off Daylight Savings Time means setting your clocks ONE HOUR back. It's not like the batteries are failing, and my lair clock gradually slowing down. I've kept an eye on it all afternoon while innernetting, and it remains 30 minutes off at this current hour of 10:43 p.m. I've resisted resetting the time. I want to see if it loses any more time overnight...

Huh. There's only one thing out of the ordinary that might have a connection. That's a story for tomorrow.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Something strange going on in the mansion (again). I'm looking forward to tomorrow's post.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
There's also going to be a day AFTER tomorrow...

River said...

I couldn't play that wait and see game, I'd have to reset the clock, then see if it still loses time, then I'd put in new batteries even if the old ones aren't all that old. I need to know what the time is so that I can get to the bus stop in time, although often enough the buses are running late so it doesn't matter, but the few times I've allowed the extra time at home because a particular bus ALWAYS runs late, I've got to the bus stop only to see it trundling off without me.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Now I know that when I'm having a good day, The Universe must be over there, conspiring against you!

After waiting 24 hours before checking the clock again, it was STILL EXACTLY 30 minutes off. I might give it a week. I still have my New Delly clock onscreen, and the Garmin step-counter watch on my arm.