Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Figurative And Literal Bacon

Farmer H and The Pony have been bringing home the bacon. Mrs. HM... not so much. Monday, after Friday and Saturday with no mail, EmBee was stuffed to the gills. One envelope was from the University of Oklahoma. I got excited when I saw it had a see-through window on the front. I dutifully took it home for The Pony to open.

It was a refund check for $318! The Pony said he had been expecting it, as a refund of the meal plan money that he couldn't eat up, once the OU Stay-Off-Campus-Down went into effect.

Friday, Farmer H drove SilverRedO over to Back-Creek Neighbor Bev's house, because she had something for him. He's prefer to drive the Gator, but the dogs follow him in that, and Bev has chickens. Anyhoo, he returned to the Mansion with a big box containing a bag of potatoes, a bag of carrots, a bag of oranges, and a bag of apples.

According to Farmer H, Bev's husband Nick took a donation to a local charity, and they insisted that he take this box of produce. I've seen notices in the local online newpaper about these produce handouts at assorted locations. No qualifying conditions. First come, first serve. Free to anybody. According to Farmer H, Bev and Nick are on some new diet where they can't eat this stuff. Huh! What a diet, where fresh produce is forbidden!

Anyhoo... Farmer H and I would never go pick up a box such as this, because we don't need it. Other people do, and that would be less for them. But I guess since Nick made the donation, the people there wanted him to have the box, and he took it for goodwill purposes. Since Nick and Bev didn't want to waste it, Farmer H brought it home.

So now The Pony and Farmer H have brought home the figurative bacon, and I have not contributed. I'm sure they don't consider the sweat of my brow to be of any worth, making their meals and cleaning up their mess(es).

I showed THEM! I brought home the LITERAL bacon, and laid it atop a roaster pan of potatoes, carrots, and onions, for a delicious side dish for three suppers. With a little brow sweat as seasoning, while peeling and chopping the "vinchtables," as my little Pony used to call them.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Maybe your neighbors are on the chocolate diet. Nothin' but chocolate. That is one I'm quite fond of.

River said...

Hooray for free fruit and vegetables. What kind of diet doesn't include vegetables?? Maybe they are meat only people? That's not healthy.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I don't think that's the one for them. Bev is always trying new things to combat the electronic mites under her skin. She has created something like a Faraday cage with magnets, around her bed for protection. I really can't explain it. I'm sure Farmer H could. Factually, OR made-up.

***
River,
I'm not sure what they eat, or what they're trying now. I think it changes frequently.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Electonic mites? Is that from Bev or from Farmer H? That sounds cray-cray.

A "cage" around her bed? With magnets? I thought city people were crazy. Bev takes the cake (although she probably would NOT take any cake offered her, as she might think that some tracing elements were embedded in the cake batter).

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's from Bev. And Farmer H's latest insult to me is: "You're as nutty as Bev!"