Monday, June 22, 2020

NO TIPpy For You, And My Ire Too

A strange thing is happening during my almost-daily lunch order at Dairy Queen. It's closed, you know, for inside dining. But the drive-thru does a booming business. It is not uncommon for me to be 13th in line. The line moves fairly quickly. About one minute per car has been the standard. Sometimes I'm only five cars back. Sometimes the line is quicker.

Anyhoo... about once a week, a little gal will bring my order out while I'm still in line. That's nice of her, but not required, or even welcomed, and in fact makes me a bit surly. The cars are so close that it doesn't help me get T-Hoe out of there any quicker. I still have to wait for the cars in front of me to pull forward. Generally, my pretzel sticks are brought out when one or two cars are still ahead of me.

Here's the thing. I thank the little gal, and hand her my money. She gives me the bag, and says,

"I'll be right back with your change."

Darn tootin' she will! I get two items off the 2 for $4 menu. My total is $4.33. I hand her a five dollar bill. No way am I giving her my 67 cents as a tip! That's almost the 69 cents I need to go with my dollar for a daily Diet Coke!

Dairy Queen employees know that they're not working for tips. They get a normal salary. The dining room is closed, and even when open, you pick up your food at the counter. No waitresses. No carhops. No tips.

Don't get me wrong. They don't hint at a tip. They are quite sweet and apologetic for my wait. But I'm still not giving them a tip. You'd think, by using common sense, they'd bring out some change with them. Like the coins, or what change would be if I paid with a ten or a twenty. Just have it there in a pocket or pouch. Otherwise, how are they really helping to speed things along, if they have to go back inside, ring up the bill on a register, and come back out with change?

I don't mind leaving a tip for waitresses or carhops. They are often paid less than minimum wage. Tips are supposed to be reported to the IRS. In fact, these employees are taxed as if they ARE being paid minimum wage, whether they actually receive tips to get them to that level or not. Dairy Queen pays their workers appropriately, because they are not in a position to receive tips.

Sorry, Dairy Queen drive-thru gals. I'll hang onto my change when I drive through. You might as well stay inside your air-conditioned building, and slide that window open for my transaction.

3 comments:

River said...

It really doesn't make any sense to bring your food out when you clearly can't move out of line to get away home. I agree with the no tipping too.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Are you goin' back to the 1800s... when ice cream was hand-cranked? What are you drinking when you're working on the titles? ;)

Yes, I think those DQ workers are trying to augment their salaries... Good thing you're too smart for their tricks.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Good to know I'm not the only "cheapskate" in the Blogosphere! Now you have reminded me of an incident that will be tomorrow's post.

***
Sioux,
My knowledge of history is abysmal, but I DO remember catchy slogans!

I spent a career making myself immune to the tricks of teenage girls, so a DQ Blizzard-slinger isn't putting one over on Mrs. HM!