Saturday, June 27, 2020

Funding The Enemy

I bought new stamps this week. Even though I hate to fund the people who regularly lose my mail, send it back as undeliverable after four weeks, and can't get a bill from Missouri to Illinois in 10 days.

Anyhoo, I ran out of the stamps I use to mail Genius's (and formerly The Pony's) weekly letters. I'm sure they didn't pay much attention to the stamps. But also sure that Genius will notice that he's no longer getting assorted flowers, but instead receiving an envelope with a nod to the GREAT OUTDOORS.


I tried to get a closeup of some, but my new SamGalA didn't focus very well.

Aren't they cool? I know it's just a pictured square used to fund delivery of my letters. But still, there's nothing wrong with enjoying the beauty of scenes lovingly painted by an artist.

Of course I also bought a book of regular U.S. flag stamps for mailing my bills. My utility companies and creditors will have to get by without beauty.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I helped with a baby shower today, and gave out stamped envelopes for the ladies to write their addresses on (for thank you notes) and some of those stamps were from a couple of winters ago.

Oh well. They're "forever" stamps, so they're fine.

River said...

They're beautiful! I love them. When we buy sheets or books of stamps, every stamp is exactly the same, if we want something different we have to wait until a new design comes out and they usually aren't very pretty to look at.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
My "forever" stamps never last forever! Not even two years. But I DO resent when the Christmas stamps are left over, and I have to use them to mail my bills in January. Seriously. NO EXTRA BEAUTY will be sent willingly from my hand to the eyes of the mailroom staff who sort the monthly statements!

***
River,
Some of ours are the same. Like the flags. I always ask what they have available, and there's usually a new booklet with at least four different versions. I didn't like the last set, which was flowers. Before that, it was frogs! One of my favorites (for mailing to the boys) was a set of vintage pickup trucks. I also like the PETS, which weren't just dogs and cats. I can't remember them now. Seems like maybe there was a hamster.

I usually buy stamps every other month, and there are new versions. There's more variety if you order them online, but I don't. Sometimes I look up the website to see what's available.