Sunday, June 7, 2020

Sometimes Mrs. HM Is An Unintentional Tom Sawyer

Saturday evening, Farmer H went to the auction. He's thrilled that auctions are happening again. He warmed up his own supper, leftover pizza that I had put in baggies to keep it from turning to cardboard.

The Pony didn't eat lunch. Unless you count numerous snacks, which he does not. I had a late lunch, and was not interested in rushing upstairs to make supper. Around 6:00, I thought of The Pony, and sent him a text to ask if he was going to make his own, or wait in me to come do it around 6:30. He said he would let me do it. So considerate, that Pony, always thinking of others...

I went upstairs and set down my lunch tray on the kitchen counter. In doing so, I hurt my back! Sweet Gummi Mary! Old people are so fragile! Anyhoo... I called to The Pony, to see if he wanted his pizza warmed in the oven. He did. He came in to rifle through the box of kitchenstuffs he had brought from his Oklahoma apartment.

"I usually drizzle on some olive oil when I reheat my pizza."

"Oh. Well. Too bad we don't have any of that here, since you threw away the bottle that expired in 2011."

"I have some here. Let's see... I'll use the SPECIAL olive oil, with garlic in it."

"Okay. Get your pizza out. Man! My back is killing me. I need to lean here for a minute."

The Pony put his pizza on the foiled pan sitting atop the stove. He drizzled on the olive oil.

"Turn on the oven. About 350, I think. Now, for the breadsticks I had left... do you want them in foil to warm up?"

"Yeah. If you want to. I think last time, you put a little butter in with them."

"Okay. Oh. I need to open a new box of foil. I can't get it. Here. Pry that flap loose."

"Got it."

"Get the breadsticks out of my pizza box. And that sauce. You can have it, too."

"Here. I'll get the butter for you. I'll set this sauce on the stove by the burner."

"There. Set the breadstick packet on the pan with your pizza, and put them in the oven."

"It's not quite warm yet, but I'll put it in."

"Whew! This back! I'm going to sit on the couch. After about 5 minutes, you can check on your pizza."

"I'll set a timer on my phone."

When the timer went off, The Pony put his pizza and breadsticks on a plate with the sauce, and brought it to the La-Z-Boy.

"I'm glad I came up to get your supper for you! Even though you kind of did it all yourself."

"Yes. I noticed that."

Baby steps, people. Baby Pony steps.

5 comments:

River said...

Rather large baby steps. This means next time all you have to do is tell him to do exactly the same as last time. You won't have to come upstairs at all.

Sioux Roslawski said...

With all that The Pony did---culinary-wise---I can see him starring in his own cooking show in the future. So impressive!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Tried that! Last night, I came up a little later, and asked if he'd already warmed up his pizza. Nope. "Are you trying to trick me into doing it myself, like you did last night?"

***
Sioux,
The Pony could have a combination cooking/fix-it show. First he breaks stuff, then he fixes them. Stopping for a snack.

River said...

He said what??? You should have said "yes, and it's time you did more for yourself around here", which might sound mean, but he's no longer a child, has lived away from home and you did plenty for him all those growing up years.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Heh, heh! I DID list off all his current benefits, including free rent, food, phone, TV, utilities, health insurance, and car insurance. He got a little less frisky after that. And volunteered to clean the bathtub after supper.