Sunday, June 21, 2020

We Don't Need The Pitter-Patter Of Any New Feet Around The Mansion

At one time, we had five cats. They were all outdoor pets. Two of them came from a teaching colleague, and a year later, three were "adopted" from strays dumped out at the mailboxes. We only intended to take one, upon approval from Farmer H. Genius had spotted the kittens, and his tender heart (back then!) couldn't stand to leave them.

We took some food to dump out, and Genius selected a kitten. Once home with it, he persuaded Farmer H that it would be unfair to leave The Pony without his OWN second kitten. So we went back for another. At that time, we saw only one left, which Genius decreed would be cruel to leave alone. So we had three new kittens in one day. From then on, Genius would put down his window as we approached the mailboxes, explaining that he was "cat-listening" in case there were other strays possible new pets.

Only one is left. The other cats have died of old age. Except for my favorite, the hateful Snuggles, whose picture is on my other blog. She was stolen taken lured in adopted by some neighbors. Farmer H accidentally saw her when he was helping them with something. They kept her indoors. A captive. I assume she has passed away by now, but one of her mailbox cronies still lingers.

Anyhoo... last week, I encountered the county side-mower on my way to town. It's a big yellow vehicle with what looks like a riding lawnmower deck mounted on an arm on the side away from traffic. As it drives slowly along, that deck can be lifted and turned sideways to "mow" tree limbs. Or set down flat to mow weeds along the edge of the road. It was going down Mailbox Hill when I returned with my magical elixir. I could see to get around it.

Right after I cut back to my side of the road, I noticed movement in the weeds at the edge. Whoa! It was a cat coming out. A BIG cat. Looked like a gray and black tabby, with its back arched, as if ready to wind around someone's legs.

"Wow! That's a fat cat for being a stray. I wonder if it belongs to someone along here. Haven't seen it before. We sure don't need another cat! Better not let The Pony know about it."

I squinted to get a better look at this healthy specimen. All at once, it jumped straight in the air! You know how cats do. Straight up, legs still in a standing position. Then in one motion, it spun around (seemingly in mid-air) and dashed into the woods.

When that big healthy cat spun around, I saw that

IT WAS A RACCOON!

We don't need one of those at the Mansion, either.

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

A big fat raccoon would make life interesting! I don't know how affectionate it would be ….

Sioux Roslawski said...

Aww. Have you read the book "Rascal" about a pet raccoon? That wild raccoon would make a great pet. They could snuggle up with you or Hick at night... They could curl up under your feet at breakfast time. They could wash their food off in the triangle tub while The Pony has his nightly soak.

Aww. You missed out on the opportunity of a great family pet.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't know how DELICIOUS it would be, either.

When Farmer H worked in the city, near Chouteau and Tower Grove, he said some co-workers would get raccoons at the Soulard Market. Farmer H also said that the sellers of raccoons left a foot on them, so the buyers would know they weren't cats! Not sure if that's true, or just one of Farmer H's stories that he knows I can't disprove.

***
Sioux,
I have not read that classic. I'm sure a raccoon would snuggle with us. AND THEN WE'D WAKE UP WITH RABIES!

Heh, heh! I love the image I just got of a raccoon washing food on the edge of the tub by The Pony. The Pony showed me a video of a raccoon washing cotton candy. Poor thing! It took three or four tries before he figured it out.

Sioux Roslawski said...

If I remember correctly, in the book Rascal, the raccoon washes a sugar cube... and is dismayed when it disappears.

Yuck! I imagine racoon would be greasy or stringy. Certainly not delicious. And I don't know how true Farmer H's story is, but the book (I think) is a memoir.

River said...

I don't want any raccoon as a pet either! Good thing we don't have them here. I have enough to put up with, what with Lola shedding faster than I can vacuum.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
In all your spare time, you should google that raccoon cotton candy video. He's so baffled!

Raccoons are fun to look at, but not on my back porch, where I startled one many years ago.

***
River,
Jack does that with the little fine white hairs of his undercoat. At least he's not in the Mansion. The less vacuuming the better, in my opinion!