Sunday, August 30, 2020

I Think You Can Understand My Desire To Micromanage

The Pony was making his own lunch as I left for town. He had some microwave noodle bowl that was a spicy chili flavor, and was cutting up a baked boneless chicken breast from the previous evening to add to it.

That was a plump chicken breast. The Pony only wanted half. He was sawing on it at the cutting block with my Pioneer Woman ceramic knife, a paper plate balance precariously on the corner. I could imagine the plate flipping chicken cubes over his head, to scatter on the site of the previous Bacon Grease Spoon Incident.

"Huh. Maybe you want to lay it on the flat side, where you cut it in half. Rather than cutting it while it's laying on the rounded side..."

"Maybe I don't."

"Just sayin'. It would be more stable."

"Meh." But he flipped over the piece of chicken to the flat side.

"Uh. You're getting a little close to the corner. You might want to move the plate."

"Okay."

"Well. I'm leaving now... I guess you can manage to make your own lunch."

"You didn't even look! I moved the plate out over the corner more!"

"Ha ha. Very funny. Now move it back!"

"Mother. I AM an adult. I can make my own lunch."

The bacon grease spoon begs to differ.

Let the record show that as I went out the door, The Pony asked,

"Should I microwave the chicken IN the bowl of noodles? Or before, or after?"

4 comments:

River said...

For the record, microwave the chicken IN the bowl of noodles. How many times have I wished I was a fly on the wall in your kitchen. Or a ladybug, since I'm less likely to be squished or spray-killed in that form.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Your survival rate would be almost 100% if you were a ladybug! Barring any accidental squishing while trying to rescue you for release.

Sioux Roslawski said...

When The Pony finds a job and moves out, you will have to move in with him... or at least buy one of those "computers" on wheels and attached to a tall upright pole (Do you watch Big Bang Theory? Sheldon traveled around on one of these in one episode) so you can remotely give him advice/instruct him.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I will have to cut the apron strings a second time! I had a doctor on a pole when I was in the local hospital with my pulmonary embolisms. His bedside manor was not the best...