Saturday, August 8, 2020

Lap Dogs Gonna Lap

I was in line at Dairy Queen on Friday afternoon, behind a club cab pickup truck. I could see a man driver and a woman passenger. When they pulled up to the window to pay, I saw two dogs in the side mirror! In fact, a little white fluffy dog put its feet on the truck window, sticking its head out, wiggling all over. A bigger dog, with a Juno-style head, but gray and short-haired, was reflected behind White Fluffy. I could see the bigger dog, sitting in the middle of the back seat of the club cab.

Those dogs were SO well-behaved! My little Jack would have tried to jump from the truck into the drive-thru window! And Juno doesn't like riding, since she only gets out to go to the vet. She'd be cowering on the floor, or creeping into my lap.

Anyhoo... I watched the DQ worker hand out a little cup of ice cream. Then another. And another. FIVE cups of ice cream! Then a little ice cream cone. The driver would hand them over to the passenger. I saw her holding a cup for Big Gray. Who licked at it politely. Then looked over to watch more ice cream coming in the window, licking his lips. Then ate some more from his cup of ice cream. I guess maybe there were some small lap dogs on the woman's lap, and the middle of the front seat, lapping from their own cups of ice cream. Because they're LAP dogs! Get it?

But really, WHAT IN THE NOT-HEAVEN???

Sweet Gummi Mary! I only have TWO dogs. (I am not about to hypothetically drive Copper Jack to town with us!) I can imagine the scuffle if I tried to feed my fleabags ice cream. Juno would lunge to any cup of ice cream, commandeering it for her own, growling to establish ownership. Jack would hop around, trying to nose in, before getting nipped-at.

Yet these dogs (five, according to the number of ice cream cups with no spoons), all sat calmly, licking their own treat. White Fluffy didn't even try to lick the ice cream cone as it was passed through the window!

I think I just witnessed a miracle.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I am sure they get ice cream on a regular basis, so they're not feeling so desperate.

Home-made dog ice cream (yogurt, peanut butter and banana) is better for dogs. You could make it in little Dixie cups, freeze it, and then all three of you could feed a dog their treat. (I tear down the sides a bit, since I don't fill the cups completely full, so they can get to it easier. I then squeeze it up, when it gets too low.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Sweet Gummi Mary! I don't even make ice cream for PEOPLE! If I made dog ice cream, I would be sure to hold it for my little Jack. He has the smallest mouth. He doesn't nip for food, only if he's in the middle of a petting lovefest.

Juno, however, snaps like an alligator! Handing a treat into her dark dog house is taking your hand into your...um...own HAND! Don't even get me started with Copper Jack. He tried to bite the hand that regularly feeds him, a couple years back. Farmer H and The Pony could toss a coin to see who gets whom.

River said...

A very well trained miracle. Maybe ice cream was the reward for doing well through training, so they behave extra well when they are getting some.
My dog preferred the giant beef shin bones from the butcher.

River said...

Sioux, I would be more likely to tip the treat into a dish, but thanks for the recipe which I will pass on to my niece for her dog.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
My dogs prefer ANYTHING I toss them through the kitchen door!