Friday, October 27, 2023

Death By Misrepresentation?

Shh... don't tell anybody, but I think Farmer H is trying to kill me.

He came home Thursday around 4:00 with two small styrofoam containers, which he immediately held out to me, even though he was by the door, and I was by the cutting block.

"Same as usual. Anything you don't want in your hand, you hold out to ME!"

"Well. One is yours. You can put them in the fridge."

"Okay, wait until I can get over there. You can't put them in the fridge?"

"No. I'm getting a trash bag and going to clean out my truck."

Farmer H then proceeded to walk around the counter and through the kitchen, into the living room, and on to the bathroom. Why he couldn't have carried those two containers to FRIG II is beyooooond me!

Anyhoo... I glanced inside, and couldn't tell what it was. When he came back, I asked.

"I don't know. Dessert. Some kind of cake."

"What is that, caramel? I see nuts."

"Yeah. Apple I guess."

He ate his right after supper. I waited until after my own supper, around 10:00, after Farmer H had already gone to bed.


It kind of looked like caramel icing on a cake. With pecans. I took a bite. My fork wouldn't go all the way through. What kind of cake does THAT? The taste wasn't actually apple-y. Nor cakey. I swear, the bottom of that thing looked like a stale biscuit!


I think that was PIE! I hate pie! Because I don't like crust. But this was like a really thick dry crust. I ate around it, leaving some nuts behind. I swear, the more I though about it, the more I likened the consistency to cheesecake. And I think the flavor might have been pumpkin.

An hour after eating it, I felt queasy. Especially after thinking how lunch was served at 11:00, and Farmer H didn't get home until 4:00. It was 79 degrees today.

I'm pretty sure I'm being poisoned with a fast-acting spoiled pumpkin cheesecake.

5 comments:

River said...

If you didn't really like it, why eat so much of it? I would have tossed it out.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I suppose because I'm a big fat gluttonous pig. Or because I was trying to figure out what the layer on top of that crust really was. It's not like I licked the container clean, or sucked all the topping off the crust. I rooted around in my little trough, but that's still over half of the mystery dessert left.

River said...

That makes sense.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

There are some things I will simply toss, like campers with dirty fingernails giving me a heaping plate of food. Smile and express appreciation and then get rid of it after you take note of the food in case they ask later how you enjoyed it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Like the cookies my favorite gambling aunt gave all of us teachers in her department, along with a candle full of cat hair...