Thursday, October 19, 2023

Is This Where Your Hillmomba Amazon Packages Come From?

Such a sight to behold, from my favorite parking space at the Gas Station Chicken Store. The view across the back alley, where an abandoned auto shop has been revamped as some kind of auction and package service. This is where the truck came from that I observed losing an Amazon box at the intersection.


I thought maybe they were doling out Amazon shipments to be delivered by private contractors. Farmer H says they are selling them. That people are buying pallets of Amazon returns like crazy, and re-selling the stuff. Either way, I'm not sure I'd want something that's been sitting in a field out back.


This was at 3:30 on a Wednesday afternoon. How long were those boxes going to cool their flaps in that location? Surely not overnight! Think of the dew. Or maybe even frost as the weather is cooling. Or unwelcome spider and mouse visitors looking for shelter! That's a lot of packages to expect to have picked up by dark. 

Hillmomba is a curious locale. Let the re-buyer beware.

4 comments:

River said...

I always thought Amazon put returned items back into selling stock unless it was damaged.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Who says this isn't damaged? I don't work for Amazon. I have no idea what's in the boxes. Maybe it's stuff that's been opened, and can't be sold as new, which may or may not be usable.

I used to work at an insurance salvage store that bought train car loads of merchandise from businesses that had catastrophes. It also included JC Penney returns. Some of it was really good. I got a nice gray plaid comforter from that stuff. There were small appliances, clothing, lamps, all kinds of stuff, some in perfectly good condition, some not. Farmer H would have had a heyday in that place.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have seen ads on Facebook Marketplace to buy pallets of items from Amazon, Target and Walmart. You have to assume you are getting something of value, since you have no idea what is in the pallet. Hey, it sounds like you, picking scratchers!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The Pony always bought himself a "grab bag" at the yearly rock show up at the Mineral Museum. So I guess he likes that risk, too!