Friday, April 26, 2019

Farmer H Has Money Problems

Every week, I dole out Farmer H's cash allowance. We started this method many years ago. I don't like the idea of Farmer H carrying around the checkbook. I'm the one who writes out the bills. Early on, I gave him a couple checks to have on hand, but I never knew when he might use them. The check numbers got out of order, and the checks he carried in his tri-fold got all misshapen so that I didn't want to used them if he traded them for a more current check number. Plus, Farmer H forgot to tell me the amount and vendor where he spent the check, so I'd have to wait for the statement to reconcile my ledger.

We are not credit card people. We have one. I don't even carry mine with me on a daily basis. We use the debit card for things like groceries and pet food and prescriptions and Lowe's items. Farmer H remembers to give me his receipts about 80 percent of the time. But for our weekly expenditures, we each have (an equal) cash allowance to use as we see fit, including gas for our vehicles.

I go to the bank every Friday, and withdraw the weekly cash. I put Farmer H's money in a secret hiding place in the Mansion kitchen. Don't be breaking in to look for it! Farmer H knows where to find his money. He leaves it there until Monday morning, when he replenishes his tri-fold.

This week, I saw on Wednesday that Farmer H's money was still in the secret hiding place. That was unusual. I planned to mention it when he came home, but he beat me to it by phone around noon.

"I got to town this morning, and I didn't have no money! I stopped by Casey's for a breakfast sandwich and a soda. It was $5.06. I was lucky I had a five in my billfold. And change in my pocket. I forgot to pick up my money this week!"

"Yeah. I saw it here. Do you want me to lay it out for you?"

"Put it where I keep my Storage Unit Store money. Then I'll remember it."

"Good thing you had that five."

"Well... I had a hundred on me, but I didn't want to break it."

Farmer H people problems.

8 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I'd say "You snooze, you lose." If he doesn't jump on his allowance within a certain timeframe, it gets revoked.

Are you getting a part of the money he earns selling things?

River said...

I've had customers like that. A purchase might come to some small insignificant amount and they will hold up the line searching every pocket and purse to get that small amount rather than break one of the (many, many) fifties they have stashed in their (open) wallet.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I guess he doens't need that much allowance, if he doesn't pounce on it as soon as it's made available. I won't revoke his allotment, though.

I do NOT share in his Storage Unit Store money. That's for him, as my lottery winnings are for me. After the initial large investment of $1100 for 18 storage units, which he paid back within six weeks, his junk has been self-sustaining, and even profitable. Of course, he still has a new garage filled with junk, that will probably never be used as a garage.

***
River,
Let the record show that when I pay exact change ($1.69) for my 44 oz Diet Coke every day, I have the coins clutched in my hand and ready!

River said...

You're a good customer. I'm the same, even if I don't have the exact change I will have a note ready to pay.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
These days, few people use cash. It takes FOREVER for those people to use their cards at The Gas Station Chicken Store and Orb K. For some reason, most people at Casey's seem to use cash. I haven't figured that out yet.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Once you break that $100, it is all over, that money is gone!

River said...

Cards are supposed to be faster, the problem arises when people don't know how to use them properly.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That's so true!

***
River,
That's definitely the problem at The Gas Station Chicken Store. The clerks have to explain it every time. Even though I know how to use the one in Save A Lot, it seems to take FOREVER between giving me the choices and the screen to enter my PIN.