Monday, April 29, 2019

Now He's A Literary Critic

Farmer H's book arrived on Friday. I must say that I was surprised. That could be because when I ordered it off Lulu, I received a message that it would be here on Wednesday, through FedEx. Yet when I tried to use the tracking two days later, I first got a message that the package was not trackable, and then a message that the package would arrive on Monday, by mail.

Well. It got here. In a padded envelope, rolled up by the mailman, and shoved to the back of EmBee's throat. I left the book, still in the envelope, on the kitchen counter for Farmer H to open. I know he wouldn't have minded if I took it out, but that's about 30% of the fun of getting a new book: OPENING THE PACKAGE!

I knew from the description that this book was paperback, and 138 pages. That was no shock. What WAS a shock was when Farmer H hollered down the steps to me, at 11:08 p.m. on Friday night,

"I finished my book!"

SWEET GUMMI MARY! Farmer H is not a reader. In fact, he'd even left for the auction at 6:00 that evening, and returned around 8:30. So he'd read that book in 2.5 hours! Maybe it was large print. Maybe there were photos. Maybe the spacing was generous.

Anyhoo... Farmer H had finished the book he'd been excited about.

"That was good. I'm not so sure he told the whole truth, though. I think he might've left some stuff out."

Farmer H. The literary critic.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Tell him he can review the book on Amazon. That might spur him to read a second book.

River said...

I LOVE opening packages when I know there is a book inside, or anything else inside too. I'm surprised at Farmer H reading it so fast. Did he go to those speed reading classes way back whenever they were being offered? I don't understand speed reading, I'd rather take my time and enjoy the story. I'm expecting a delivery myself in a few days.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's not exactly a hot-dog-on-a-stick motivator for Farmer H. It's more like a green pepper on a stick. He hates green peppers.

Farmer H leaving a comment on Amazon would be like me cutting up a semi truck and installing hydraulics to turn it into a dump truck. Highly unlikely.

He'll read another book when he's good and ready. Maybe in another 30 years.

***
River,
No speed reading. I don't see the point, either. I guess Farmer H was just really excited to read this guy's story. Maybe the reading is one of his secret spy skills that he hasn't revealed all these years.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Who really knows what motivates our men?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
It almost sounds wrong, referring to their actions as having an actual motivating factor!