Friday, April 12, 2019

Is Life Giving Mrs. Hillbilly Mom Lemons?

Okay, we know that can't be true. Life doesn't GIVE you anything. You have to buy it or earn it. In this case, I seem to have bought life's lemons.

Remember when I mentioned that I've been adding limes to my 44 oz Diet Coke every evening? I still do that. In fact, I've been buying limes every week. There seems to be no consistency with the limes at The Devil's Playground. They're in the same bin at the produce section. In the same kind of bag. With the same kind of label. But sometimes my limes have a thick skin, and sometimes they have a thin skin. I get more juice out of the thin-skinned limes.

Don't think I'm confusing regular limes with Key limes. I don't want those tiny things, full of seeds. I see them in an adjacent bin. I get the regular sized limes, without seeds. Sometimes, I'll have both thick-skinned nubbly limes, and the thin-skinned smooth limes in one bag. Over the last two purchases, I've discovered something else.

I suspect that some of my limes are lemons!


I'm pretty sure all those are limes. EXCEPT that big fat one with thick skin. I think that's a lemon, by cracky!

When I got to the end of the previous bag, and used a yellow lime like that, it didn't taste right. Didn't taste limey at all! Tasted like I'd added LEMON to my 44 oz Diet Coke. I don't know what shenanigans The Devil has up his sleeve, but I want to get what I pay for.

Don't give me lemons when I don't want to make lemonade.

9 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Perhaps you should consider taking it back? I know that the lines are sometimes long at the service desk, but they will take back almost anything. If you pay with your debit or credit card, they will be able to look up your purchase and know that you really did buy a bag of limes. I don't know how they will compensate you for the odd lemon you got. Maybe they will open a bag of limes and dig out a lime? I would be able to tell you if I bought a bag of limes that actually contained a lemon or two, because I would be bring them back ….

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Or, you could make lemonade?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Heh, heh! Too bad you haven't had this experience, because I would love to hear about it! I'm not thick-skinned enough to take a thick-skinned lemon to the service desk and ask them if it looks like a lime. They'd probably tell me it's just a RIPE LIME.

You'd be amazed at some of the misinformation going around about lemons and limes. It reminds me of the time one of my 9th grade students was SHOCKED to learn that pickles are made from cucumbers. She said she'd never eat another pickle.

***
Kathy 2,
Reports of me being a lemonade-making Pollyanna are highly exaggerated. I'm more likely to shake my fist at the sky (clenching the lemon, of course) while shouting, "Dang you, life, and your given lemons!"

River said...

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila too. Do you have to buy the bagged limes? Is there an option to choose loose ones? We have citrus fruits here, in separate bins, loose or bagged and often the bagged ones are cheaper, but if you only want one or three not a whole kilo, then loose is a better option.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I didn't notice any loose limes at The Devil's Playground. They have so many different items, I guess they have to decide which ones deserve the bin space. I can pick individual onions, and several kinds of apples. But they're not the items giving me lemons!

No tequila for me! I only tried it once, back in my misspent youth, and I was not a fan. Of course, that was right out of the bottle, no lemons involved!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Tequila sounds good right about now. I love a good margarita every now and then. Of course it would render me useless for the remainder of the day.

River said...

I've never tried tequila or most other alcohols for that matter. the above was a quote I read somewhere.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I couldn't possibly be rendered any more useless than I am on any given day! I could be the only teetotaler citizen of Margaritaville.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You're not missing anything with the tequila!