Wednesday, April 17, 2019

We Meet Again

Monday, I stopped by the pharmacy to pick up the 25 pills that they had shorted me on Saturday. Well. Had shorted me with an explanation, and a slip to show the shorting, with how many were coming to me, and the day they'd be ready.

I don't like these situations. Like I told Farmer H,

"I hope they know what's going on and don't try to charge me again. Do you think I should take this note? Surely they have to keep detailed records of dispensing (or not) drugs."

"Well, I'd take it. Just in case. You never know." Said the man whose pharmacy ALWAYS forgets to put one of his prescriptions in the bag, necessitating a trip back to town.

I showed up at my pharmacy around 1:15. After the lunch rush, after all their employees should have been back from lunch. A time when I expected somebody in charge to be there, not just some know-nothing lackeys holding down the fort. Imagine my despair when I walked in and saw DOOFUS behind the counter! The gal who refuses to run my debit card, saying the register can't do that.

She knew that I knew it was her. We were mentally circling each other like two seasoned sumos beginning a championship match.

"How can I help you?"

"I'm here to pick up the rest of my prescription that I didn't get on Saturday."

I handed DOOFUS the note. She typed up my info on the computer screen and frowned. Looked at the paper. Looked at the computer. Said,

"Just a minute. I'll be right back."

DOOFUS went behind the tall counter. I could hear her murmuring to a pharmacist or pill-counter about my note. No words were discernible, but in my mind, she sounded like she was calling the validity of my note into question. Even though it was on store stationery. I'd assume this is not the first time they've ever given out a note like that. And we know that DOOFUS has worked at this pharmacy for at least three months, since TWICE she's denied me the use of my debit card, and was here again now.

I heard the pharmacist or pill-counter murmur that of course I had come back for the rest of my refill. Not in so many words, but in such a tone.

DOOFUS came back to the counter. To me, her attitude seemed grudging.

"It's going to take a minute. They're working on it now."

I wandered around looking at their Easter egg contest for kids (Find a brown egg, and get a chocolate egg). I saw lots of colorful plastic eggs, but no brown one. Not that I was looking, of course. I'm not a kid. I refused to sit down and wait, and I refused to leave the immediate area of the counter. Just because. I heard pills rattling, and then DOOFUS came back out and called my name.

"Mrs. Thevictorian? It's ready now."

I went to the counter, almost daring her to charge me for the rest of my prescription that had already been paid in full. DOOFUS typed up stuff on the computer screen. Then told me to sign for the medicine. Sadly, she did not try to charge me.

Sadly. Because I was just itching to inform her that her register CAN TAKE A DEBIT CARD NOW, since I did it on Saturday.

2 comments:

River said...

Damn! A missed opportunity on the debit card thing, but her day will come and you will get your satisfaction.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Heh, heh! That sounds so ominous: Her day will come! I'm like a snapping turtle waiting for thunder to let go. I WILL make sure she knows that I KNOW about the debit card capabilities of that register!