Monday, April 8, 2019

It Is Against My Nature To Reveal This

After maligning Farmer H for daring to not be in the red Silverado I cursed for driving past our road when he clearly saw me at the mailboxes, and knew I had groceries to carry in... I proceeded to unload the car as far as my strength held out.

Let's not forget that I'm suffering from a probably deadly virus that Farmer H spread to me. I was wheezy and coughy and cranky and fevery, and left some non-immediate items in T-Hoe's rear. Such as two six-packs of Diet Mountain Dew, a six-pack of Diet Coke, an eight-pack of mini Diet Cokes, six bottles of strawberry-banana flavored water, a jar of Peter Pan Honey Roast, a nine-pack of Charmin, a double pack of Bounty Select-a-Size, a three-pack of Puffs Plus Lotion, a pack of large foam bowls, and a pack of small foam bowls.

You may wonder what I could possibly have carried in myself, but I assure you, there were 10 or 12 bags of cold items and bread products and produce and treats for Farmer H. Besides, when Farmer H found out I was doing the shopping earlier, he had said to leave the heavy stuff in the car, and he'd get it later.

Imagine my surprise when I came upstairs to make supper, still wheezy and coughy and cranky and fevery, and saw that Farmer H had not only carried in the remainder of my haul, but had put several items away. Like the bowls. He NEVER does that! Sure, my Peter Pan was missing. And there was a leaning tower of paper products on the stool under his cuckoo clock. But I was impressed. Putting things away is not one of Farmer H's strong points.

"OH! That's nice. You put some things away. But I guess you forgot where the toilet paper goes."

"No. I just didn't get to it yet."

Farmer H got out of the La-Z-Boy and took the nine rolls of Charmin to the hall closet.

"Have you seen my peanut butter?"

"No. Maybe I left a bag."

"It was in with some of the strawberry-banana water."

"Oh. That's over on my chair by the door."

Farmer H went to find the Peter Pan, then back to the La-Z-Boy.


Kudos to Farmer H for the partial putting-away. This tower is still there. The Tide is from a few shopping trips ago. Farmer H carried them in, but not the five more steps it would have taken to set them on the high shelf in the laundry room that adjoins the kitchen. Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

I can't put them away myself. I've been sick, you know. Weak. Wheezy and coughy and cranky and fevery. I'm lucky I didn't keel over while pushing my cart/walker around The Devil's Playground.

5 comments:

River said...

I understand how much harder everything is when you are sick, but there is no excuse for that Tide still being there, young lady (my mum's voice), you had plenty of opportunities to put it away before you got sick. ahem. But so did Farmer H, says Val, who is absolutely correct. Maybe he will pick it up when he puts away the rest of the paper goods later.

River said...

P.S. he does get a silver star (no gold) for carrying in and putting away several things.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Actually, I think I've been sick the whole time the Tide has been there. Except for the four days between the Sis Sickness and the Farmer H sickness, when I was briefly off my deathbed for four days. So I admit to being slovenly.

I was quite pleased that Farmer H put several things away. He may be moving from baby steps to toddler steps!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You certainly expect a lot!! I came home from my shopping adventure today with a trunk full and the backseat, as well. No men appeared as I was backing up to the door. I unlocked the door and took out the dogs, then texted HeWho that I was home. He texted back " Oh, you need help?" I let him know that I had spent nearly $400 on personal and store supplies. Still, no helpful hands until finally a text telling me that Alex was on his way. Alex is the mentally and physically challenged step brother of Kevin. Things went downhill from there. Not all help is good help!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I DO have excessively high expectations for Farmer H! I agree that not all help is good help, as was evidenced by the tale on my other blog about work on the gravel roads.

I certainly hope you plan to withhold treats from HeWho and Wifey Kevin for their non-help.