Sunday, April 7, 2019

How Dare He!

Have I mentioned how much I hate going to The Devil's Playground every week? I think I might have let my true feelings slip out once or twice. At least now that I'm retired, I can go any day, any time. That usually turns out to be on a Friday morning, when I'm over in Sis Town mailing the boys' weekly letters. It's better than a Saturday, or a Friday after school hours. I have a list, and sometimes spend more time in line than in pushing my cart/walker around to gather supplies.

The worst part about my weekly shopping trip is Farmer H's retirement. He's never around now, what with working on his $5000 house. The Pony has been away at college for three years, and is no longer my dependable grocery carrier-inner. So... I have to haul bags and boxes and bottles from T-Hoe's rear to the porch. Pile them up in many trips. Then go up the steps and unlock the door, and pick them up again to carry them in the house. Then put them away.

Farmer H had a doctor's appointment on Friday morning, then worked a while at the $5000 house, then drove over to Bill-Paying Town for some boards, and to visit This Guy and This Guy's Wife, original owners of the $5000 house, in their rehab facility after both had surgery. I knew he wouldn't be around. I was prepared to carry everything in again, then have some lunch, then come upstairs again to make supper for Farmer H before he left for the auction.

Imagine my glee when I was pulling the mail out of EmBee, and SilverRedO came down the hill and turned in to the gravel road! A car was pulling out at the time, so I understood why Farmer H didn't stop and say something to me. I climbed back in T-Hoe and started up the gravel road. I could still see SilverRedO way up ahead on the straight stretches.

Imagine my shock when I saw SilverRedO drive right past our turn and up the hill toward HOS's house! How dare he! He KNEW I was doing the shopping. Clearly he had seen me getting the mail. Now he was going to let me carry all that stuff in by myself! I don't think so!!!

As soon as I got to our driveway, I sent Farmer H a text.

"Did you just go up HOS's hill?"

"No. I've been down visiting This Guy and This Guy's Wife in the nursing home."

"A red Silverado passed me while I was getting the mail, and then went up HOS's hill. I was REALLY MAD at you for not coming to help me unload the groceries! Never mind..."

I'm sure he's done something else I could be really mad about, once I find out what it is.

6 comments:

River said...

Take a little trip down memory lane and see if you can remember laundry baskets that fit into a wheeled trolley thing to wheel the wet washing out to the line for hanging. maybe it's only an Australian thing, I don't know. But you could get one (they fold up and lean against a wall out of the way) and a basket to fit, then keep the basket in the back of T-Hoe, put the groceries in it, then when you get home, put the loaded basket in the trolley and wheel it to the house. You have a solid path from the garage to the house? Or is it a dirt path that becomes mud in winter. For a trolley you'll need a solid path. Then you won't need Farmer H.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't recall that kind of basket around here. I have the solid concrete garage floor and sidewalk to the porch, but there's a threshold to get over. Minor problem. The dealbreaker is the four steps up to the porch, but I guess I could set the basket off, lift the trolley part, and put it back on. I'll keep that in mind, in case I can find such a contraption.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know what River is referring to! But haven't seen one since I was a child. I have a wagon I use in my gardens, It has fat wheels that will travel over most obstacles. HeWho and Wifey are usually around when I back my car up to the front of the store. They come running like children to see if I bought them something sweet to eat. They unload my car and I divide the bags between the store and the residence and put everything in it's proper place after I hand them treats! Wifey had a gout attack in my absence and is currently using a can to walk, so I won't be getting his help for awhile.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You are so lucky to have two "helpers" run to the car when you arrive! So sad that your Wifey is out of commission. Now the yoke of responsibility will fall solely on HeWho!

If I had two wagons, that might help. I could pull one to the side porch, and unload it into the other, which I could pull into the kitchen. I am always worried about leaving assorted bags sitting until I can get to them, what with three dogs and two cats roaming around.

River said...

Kathy has a great idea! A gardening wagon with fat wheels to manage any terrain. Of course you can't lift the body of the wagon off the wheel base like you would a laundry basket, but it's a thing to think about. I'll see if I can find an image of the one I mean.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Maybe Farmer H can find me a cheap auction baby stroller, with the baby basket that snaps off the wheels to put in a car. Of course, it would have to be for a GIANT baby to be big enough for my groceries.