Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Nosy Neighbor Night News

Farmer H got a call shortly after supper Sunday night. It was around 7:40 p.m. I was in the kitchen washing up, and heard his end of the call.

"Yeah. Not much. Just sittin' here. Huh. It's not me. Okay. I'll go take a look."

It was the guy who lives by our other 10 acres, the plot on the other road where HOS (Farmer H's Oldest Son) used to live with his family, before he moved to town to the $5000 house Farmer H and he renovated. The Guy passed by the land on his way home, and saw a fire burning. So he called Farmer H to see what was going on. He's the same guy who called about the white Dodge sedan that was parked there, prompting Farmer H to drag a tree across the driveway.

Farmer H said he was going to drive up there. I cautioned him to be cautious. At least he drove SilverRedO, and not the Gator. The dogs stayed on the porch. I figured I'd wait about 15 minutes before descending to my lair. To find out what was going on, and, oh yeah, to make sure Farmer H returned, unharmed. You never know what could happen out here in the middle of nowhere in the dark.

Farmer H was back by 7:57. 

"It wasn't nothin'. Just two little fires burning along the property line. Looked like piles of sticks. That lady that lives next door, the one with Jack's (old man who threatened to shoot Farmer H many years ago, then became his friend and bladed our driveway at random times) son. She likes to rake up sticks and burn them. So I didn't stop or say nothin'."

"Was it on HER side? Or on our land?"

"It was on ours, but not very far over. I'm not worried about it."

Well. This might not have been anything to worry about. But the very next day, Farmer H had something to worry about! That will be revealed on my not-so-secret blog, on Wednesday.

Any nosy neighbor is welcome to call the Mansion to report anything suspicious.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh, you're going to make me wait until tomorrow? You're treading on thin ice, Lady. We city folks are short-tempered, with all this mask-wearing and people not wearing masks.

If I get impatient, I might go all teacher on you.

River said...

I'm glad it was just small fires but now I'm concerned about tomorrow's post. At least you have Farmer H brave enough to go and look.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I'm a treader, I love cheddar, I'm a lovely-lady-mullet shedder... I make you wait because I caa-a-a-annn.

Bring it on, Madam! I have precious little to lose these days! I have zero effs to give about what goes on my permanent record now! You'll get pulled up off your cliff-hanging when I'm ready for your reprieve!

***
River,
I was concerned about Farmer H encountering a ne'er-do-well who might be younger and meaner and better able to see in the dark!