Friday, June 3, 2022

A Place For Everything And This Thing Not In Its Place

Farmer H has been getting Poolio ready for the season. Normally, he starts this process on May 1. This year, he was four weeks late. He's been spending mass quantities of plastic at the Pool and Spa Place, SHOCKING Poolio in an effort to make that 20-year-old water swimmable. 

I don't know why Farmer H can't just drain Poolio and start fresh every summer. It's not like water costs us. It comes out of our well, by cracky! Just pull up that lever on the outside spigot over by Shackytown Boulevard, get the water flowing downhill through the hose, and let it fill.

Anyhoo... Farmer H has made three trips to the Pool and Spa Place for his water analysis and chemicals. Poolio was looking like PEA SOUP! All chunky and gray-green! Farmer H said it's because his sand for the filter got wet, and wasn't working. Wait a minute! Isn't that how the sand works? It gets wet as it filters out gunk? Anyhoo... Farmer H bought new sand. Which still didn't make Poolio clearer. So he took apart the filter and did something to it. Within an hour, I could see the difference. So Poolio is looking better.

Here's what reminded me of Farmer H's trials with Poolio:

 
Every time I back out of the garage, I see this pool cover! You might be shocked to hear that it doesn't belong there!

"I can't guarantee that I won't run over that pool cover. It's almost in the way of me driving in and out of the garage."

"I just put it there to dry out when I took it off. Then the wind blew it all around. Then I folded it up. I'm going to put it away."

"WHEN? It's been there a week or more."

"I'm going to."

"Where? Where did you keep it last year?"

"In the old chicken house."

"No way. You mean something won't go in there an eat it?"

"I'm not saying something can't get in there. But it didn't eat it."

"I think you just got that one last fall. Because the other one ripped."

"Nah. This one is at least three years old."

"I don't think so. You got a new one, and The Pony helped you put it on."

"No. That was just the pillow thing for the middle."

"I swear you bought it last year."

"Well. That pillow thing came with a cover. So it might be two years old..."

"YOU GOT IT LAST YEAR!"

"Well, I'm going to put it in the old chicken house."

Farmer H did not reveal a timeline. I'm kind of worried, since in his mind, one year is equivalent to three years. I'm not holding my breath for that cover to be put away. And I'm not going to get out and move it if it blows into my path to the garage.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yeah, hold your breath as you're waiting for Farmer H to put it away, and you'll end up as blue as that pool cover...

What? No pic of Farmer H in his normal pool attire?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You can't handle a pic of Farmer H in his Poolio attire! You would be singing the praises of my beloved Baby Blue, the raggedy sweatshirt Farmer H clutched to his private area to shield The Pony when surprised parading about the Mansion in his Poolio suit.

River said...

I'm not at all shocked to discover that pool cover does not belong there. I am shocked that Farmer H is willing to spend lots of plastic on chemicals and other stuff instead of just draining the pool and filling with fresh water.
Of course it still needs the chlorine or whatever goes into it, but starting each summer with fresh water has to be the best idea ever.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I really think it would be easier to start with fresh water every year. Farmer H goes back and forth testing that water, and adding stuff, and testing again, and adding something else. He uses Baquacil, which doesn't irritate the eyes like chlorine. I found a site that weighs the benefits of both:

https://www.createitgo.com/baquacil-vs-chlorine/