Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Night 1 And Day 2 With The Sicko

Farmer H went to bed before 7:00 on Sunday night, leaving me to blindly apply my own 2x4 bandaid to my leg hole. Which is getting better, by the way, and is mostly scabbed over and itchy, except the small part that sticks to the nightly bandaid as I writhe in the marital bed, most definitely not from passion.

I had plans to pass the night sleeping in the The Pony's abandoned bed. However... The Pony still needs to finish cleaning and cleaning out that bedroom! There were two storage containers stacked next to the bed, and several items (including a crutch!) laying on his mattress. I did not have the energy at 3:00 a.m. to try and tackle that mess.
 
At 5:30 a.m., I gave up and went to bed. Where I found most of the sheet under Farmer H. I flipped my pillow so as not to rest my head on his breather spray from the past 10.5 hours. I put my back to him, and covered the side of my head with the blanket. He had a hateful fit when I asked him not to breathe on me, bellowing that he was SICK! Exactly. And I prefer not to be.
 
I was hoping that Farmer H would get up at 6:00 as usual. But no. He had to languish three more hours. So 13.5 hours of sleep for HIM, and 5 for me, which were interrupted by two spates of texting from The Pony, and a phone call wanting to "share" insurance benefits information with Farmer H.
 
Farmer H of course woke me to leave, saying he was going to pick up materials at Lowe's to work Tuesday on Back-Creek Neighbor Bev's new house. When he had not returned by 1:00, I sent a text asking his whereabouts. To which he replied, "Coming up the driveway," which I got as he fumbled with his key in the kitchen door.
 
He said he had been waiting at his Storage Unit Store to buy some fishing lures from one of his regular providers. Of course he was too sick to feed himself. So I warmed up some Chunky Chicken Soup with Country Vegetables, and chilled a bottle of MY Gatorade for him. And served then to him in his recliner.
 
Then I went to town to buy him sugar free cough drops, and lemons so I could make him a hot toddy. Which must have had some healing properties, because Farmer H warmed his own leftover pork steak and baked beans for supper! 

Farmer H went to bed around 8:15. He doesn't seem to be deathly ill. No fever. Just his head full of snot. Not even a cough. Yet. 
 
He says he will go work on Bev's house Tuesday morning. Maybe I will be able to get some sleep then.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

If you make him a hot toddy every day, will he fix his own dinner every day? If so, those hot toddys are miraculous.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
It worked again today! That's two in a row! Of course, I still have to prepare the hot toddy, but it dirties fewer dishes than cooking a meal, and takes less time. AND Farmer H went to bed at 7:00.

River said...

With no fever he'll probably be much better in no time. Could the head filled with congestion be an allergy?
I would have tossed that crutch to the floor and slept in The Pony's bed anyway.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Put some of that not-sold-anymore cough syrup into the hot toddy... He might get out of your hair by 5 or 6... and sleep straight through the night.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't think it's an allergy. It's progressing like a head cold. The two large totes were in front of the bed, which is against the wall. I couldn't move or hurdle them to get to the bed!

***
Sioux,
If only I could get that good stuff again! I'm not sure of the active ingredient, but it was called "Histinex." Sadly, it did NOT make me drowsy, so wouldn't have had that effect on Farmer H. He doesn't have a cough yet. I think the hot toddy and Alka Seltzer Plus make him sleep through the night anyway.