Saturday, June 11, 2022

And Another!

I was thrilled when T-Hoe's radio spontaneously started working again on the way home from town Friday! My SiriusXM would actually go to the next station I had programmed, and PLAY! It didn't work on the way TO town, but it did on the way home!

Of course Even Steven was not about to let me enjoy T-Hoe's radio...

I saw Farmer H mowing in the BARn field as I went by. So I resigned myself to carrying in all the groceries by myself. I eased T-Hoe into the garage, and turned off the key.

SMOKE BILLOWED FROM T-HOE'S RIGHT SIDE!

I could see it through the windshield. For a moment, I tried to convince myself that it was just condensation from the humidity. But no. It was only on that one side, pouring out from under the hood. Then I smelled a burny odor. Sweet Gummi Mary! Should I leave T-Hoe parked in the garage, possibly to burst into flames that could spread to the roof, and eat their way into the Mansion?

Nope. 

I started T-Hoe, and drove to the BARn field. Parked under a thorn tree, and motioned for Farmer H to come over. Of course he parked his mower up against the driver's door. Then said he didn't see the smoke on the other side. I finally convinced him, and he said to pop the hood open. Which I couldn't do, since the hood release was not where one might expect it to be, but down by the floor!

"It's not where you think! Should I use my foot?"

"No, HM. You release it with your hand."

"Why should I have to stand on my head to reach the hood release? I don't understand what that picture is on the lever. YOU look at it. I might pull the wrong thing."

Farmer H was in a predicament. He had turned off his mower, which was parked up against T-Hoe's door. He could see the smoke coming out the other side, and smell it, but couldn't get the door open due to the mower parked there. Instead of getting back on the mower to start it and park if farther away from smoking T-Hoe, Farmer H released something on the mower, and pulled it backwards!

Then he opened the door and pulled on that lever near the floor, popping open T-Hoe's hood. Smoke billowed skyward. Farmer H walked around to look.

"I can't see what it is. Because of all the smoke. But that smell is antifreeze. I think you've popped a heater hose."

Not that it was anything I could have done intentionally. T-Hoe is, after all, from 2008. Hoses don't last forever. Even Farmer H himself admitted that nothing I could have done would cause this hose failure.

"Just drive it back over to the garage. I can't look at it while it's hot."

"Won't it burn down the garage?"

"No! It's just a hose. The antifreeze got on the manifold, which is hot."

I drove back and parked. Carried in my own groceries. Of course Farmer H showed up as I was putting the last two items away. He said he'd take a look at T-Hoe later. But didn't. He DID watch a video on his phone, and thinks he can fix the hose if he can find one and a connector thingy. Said they used to only need a clamp, but these NEWER cars have a connector. Heh, heh. A 2008 is a NEWER car to Farmer H.
 
"Look here, at this video. There's the hose. If I can get to it, I can fix it."
 
"I don't know why you're showing me that! It's like trying to teach our old dog Grizzly how to fly a 747! You really overestimate my understanding of machinery."
 
"Yeah. I guess you're right. You didn't know how to open the hood."
 
"I also didn't know how to CLOSE the hood! That you left open a couple weeks ago. Again overestimating my abilities!"

Anyhoo... I am without transportation until this issue is resolved. Farmer H told me to drive A-Cad. But getting out of A-Cad on the driver's side will rub my leg-hole against the side of the car. So unless Farmer H chauffeurs me in A-Cad, I will have to sit at home until repairs are complete.

It's always something. Not a good week for Mrs. HM.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I have the same complaint when it comes to the hood release thingy. I had to turn into a contortionist... and the symbol on the lever handle confused me as well.

River said...

Put a small gauze pad over the hole and cover that with the large bandaid, then you should have no trouble with A-cad and be able to get your scratchers and other stuff without relying on Farmer H to get things for you. Because you know how well THAT won't go.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
And you even have one of those tiny toy cars, Madam! You'd think they could put that hood release on the left side of the steering wheel, on the dash, within arm's reach, like they used to! I don't know WHY it should be on the floor, where old eyes like mine can't even SEE that symbol that is supposedly a car hood opening.

***
River,
If only I could rely on my application of such medicinal supplies to be accurate! That's what got me in part of this mess to begin with! Today Farmer H drove me to town in A-Cad, after first trying to get me to hoist myself into SilverRedO. He was on his best behavior. Tomorrow, we're supposed to take T-Hoe and drop him off at Mick the Mechanic's shop. Then Farmer H will take me to town for scratchers. HOPEFULLY, I'll get T-Hoe back on Monday evening...