Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Doubting Farmer

Farmer H can't just take my word for anything. No. He always knows better. Like when T-Hoe blew a heater hose on Friday. I described exactly what happened. Farmer H himself looked under the hood at T-Hoe's innards. He said I could drive T-Hoe to Mick the Mechanic's shop on Sunday to await repairs.

"With all that stuff leaking out? I left a whole trail from the BARn field over to the garage. It was fresh. I saw it all along the concrete. And the temperature gauge, which had been straight up and down, went to the 3:00 position. So it was heating up. Just from driving to the house."

"HM. It only leaked out because it was HOT. It was the steam coming out, then condensing. It won't get that hot on the way to town. It's only five miles. Less than 10 minutes to Mick's."

"What if I don't make it? What if I break down on the way?"

"I will be driving the Acadia to pick you up. But you won't have a problem."

THEN Farmer H went out and poured two gallons of water in somewhere. When he came back in he had another proposal.

"I need to go to the parts store for some hose and clamps. I looked at the end of your hose, and it was rotted off. So I'm going to cut off the other end, and get a T connector, and hook them together so you can drive it to town. All the antifreeze ran out. There's no fluid in it. I'll add some water to get you to town. It will be fine. You just won't have any heat." [That's the gist of it. I don't really pay attention when he spouts technical stuff.]

THEN, on our way to town Saturday afternoon for the hose and clamps, Farmer H again backtracked on his statement that nothing I could have done would blow that hose.

"I guess you might have knocked it loose when you hit that hole." [In the bad blacktop of his badly-blacktopped hill.] It could have jarred the hose and broke it. You can see in this piece right here [waved it under my nose] that the rubber is dry-rotted. No way could you have made it home if it broke in town."

So let's review. My theory of the hose-busting happening as I came up that hill and hit a new hole was correct. And my report that all the fluid leaked out was correct.

HM is always wrong, until Farmer H decides that she's right.

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

But... Did he actually say, "You were right"?

I don't think so. I think men are genetically unable to say that phrase (when it comes to their female partner). To their friends who are males? Those words probably trip off their tongues like water drips off Jack. When it comes to men who have male partners? I'm not sure.

From what I read, he leapfrogged over your observations and concerns, and went straight to the dry-rot he found... which means HE is right, since he found the source of the problem.

Face it. You're NEVER right.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Jury duty? Tee hee.

I have a job and my boss would probably ask me to ask the court system if I could get it rescheduled (to never), since replacements (subs) are soooo hard to find these days.

Too bad you don't have a job and a boss like mine.

Tee hee.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Of course Farmer H never said I was right! HE'S the one who figured it out, by cracky! Water was dripping off Jack this afternoon, but no "rightness" for me off Farmer H's tongue. Jack went swimming in the creek. Some guy came out to buy something from Farmer H, and he took him down to show him the back exit. That's not a euphemism! He drove the Gator to show the guy a shortcut, and the road crosses the creek. The dogs love nothing better than to run, barking their fool heads off, ahead of the Gator. Even at 95 degrees.


***
Sioux 2,
The last time I had actual jury duty, my boss did nothing to try and get me out of it! Which perhaps says something about how much I was valued at work...

Your glee, Madam, is entirely too proportionate to my agony.

River said...

Pffft! Men! Hmph. That's all I have to say.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Farmer H has been outdoing himself lately. More tales on the way. So get your throat ready for clearing some more.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Just because you surmised it first doesn't mena it wasn't his idea all along! I IVE WITH THE SAME MAN!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
We must be psychic, taking those ideas out of their head before they've mentioned them! I'm also guessing you get yelled at for things he THINKS he heard you say, and get answers that make no sense at all, because he'd rather pretend he heard you than ask you to repeat the question.