Tuesday, October 4, 2022

If You Are Invited To A Pony Dinner...

You might want to think twice, if you receive an invitation to dine with The Pony. Ask some questions. The main one being: "When was the last time you went to the store?" Another inquiry might be: "When was the last time you had butter fingers?"
 
Yes, it would be nice to have steak, if you didn't have to drive The Pony to the ER with a burned thumb. You'd get a good meal. But when it's been a while since he shopped, you might not like the fare as much. Like this entree:
 
 
That appears to be a wrap of rigatoni and alfredo sauce. Good for a vegetarian. Or perhaps someone planning to run a marathon the next day. Or those on a bland diet after surgery.

If you can stand a bit more spice, then this might be the meal for you:

 
By "a bit more spice," I actually mean a rumpusload of spice, way to much for the average person, and not intended to be on the menu. I'm pretty sure that was intended to be the inside of a burrito. Chicken, black beans, rice... and what appears to be oregano. The Pony DID mention his previous mishap at the Mansion, when the lid came off of the red pepper flakes. I don't know how such a thing could happen again with another spice. And I don't know who puts oregano in a burrito. Maybe it was something else. IN EXCESS!

Anyhoo... The Pony is an adventurous chef, and will at least give you a quantity that will fill your belly. Whether your belly wants to keep it is the question.

4 comments:

River said...

What on earth is that blue stuff in the "oregano"??
I'll turn down any invitations from The Pony, it's a little too far from home (and has nothing to do with any suspiciously coloured spices, ha ha)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
No idea! I'm not sure if it's really blue, or just a reflection for the picture. His fork also looks blue, and some of the rice at the bottom of the picture, and a glare on the top edge of the skillet. The Pony has a plethora of spices. Some of it is steak seasonings. He also likes black pepper. I don't know what this is.

It IS a long way to go for a meal with mystery ingredients. Or even a steak.

River said...

Black pepper is like white pepper, powder that is sprinkled on foods the same way salt is. Most people prefer it in peppercorn form in pepper grinder, it has a much better taste that way. I rarely see black pepper powder these days. Have a good look at the spices shelf next time you are shopping, you'll probably find black pepper in a little grinder. Many salt varieties also come in "rock" form in little grinders.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I have battery-operated grinders given to me by my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel. So I don't really look at the ground pepper, but just buy the peppercorns and salt crystals. If I remember, I'll check out the selections when I go to the store tomorrow.