Wednesday, October 26, 2022

What's The Rush? You'd Be Surprised.

Tuesday afternoon, I went to the bank to deposit the check The Pony gave me for his half of the insurance on the flip property we just bought. It was around 3:00 when I left. I knew I would run into traffic on the road behind the local high school, but that is the most direct way to get to the bank. Which I needed to do before 4:00.
 
Nothing was coming when I pulled out of our county blacktop road onto the county lettered highway, where the bridge is finally done. Stripes and everything now!
 
Anyhoo... before I was off the end of the bridge, I saw traffic coming up behind me. A white van. It was going pretty fast. I was already up to 60 (shhh), and the speed limit is 55 mph. I maintained my speed as I passed the prison, and turned left to go in front of Mick the Mechanic's shop. That van also turned. In fact, continued to tailgate T-Hoe.
 
I thought maybe it was somebody in a hurry to pick up their kid at the elementary that is in that area, just before the bowling alley. Nope. White Van followed me past the bowling alley, around the first roundabout, around the second roundabout, and down the road behind the high school. 
 
I though maybe White Van was going to pick up a high school student. Lots of traffic was coming out. And a couple of buses. The speed limit there slows to 25 during weekdays between 2:00 and 4:00. So I slowed. White Van almost crawled up T-Hoe's rear! Didn't turn at the high school.
 
I moved towards the shoulder of the road. So White Van could go around me if he dared. Nope. He preferred to tailgate. Even when we backed up at the stop sign behind after-school traffic.
 
Tailgated me all the way past the cemetery, across the other bridge, to the line of traffic backed up by the first stop light by McDonald's.
 
WHOOPSIE! White Van FINALLY went around me on the left, in the center turn lane. You know where he was going? Why he had been in such a dang hurry for the past 7 miles from the middle-er of nowhere than the Mansion?
 
TACO BELL!
 
That dang White Van was in a rush to get to Taco Bell.
 
I do not understand the urgency. Maybe AFTER eating at Taco Bell...

4 comments:

River said...

Perhaps his kids had eaten their fill at Taco bell and were unable to pay so they called daddy. Perhaps he has a cranky pregnant wife at home with craving for Taco Bell "RIGHT NOW!!"
We'll never know.
I hate being tailgated even though I don't drive. I even hate people walking behind me on the way to the shop. If they are far enough back, okay, but when they are quiet as mice and right behind me until they suddenly pass (sometimes on a bike!) I get spooked a little.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Oh my gosh! I hate close-walkers, too! They are creepy creepers. If this guy's kids were freeloaders, they must have been adult age. The school crowd had not had enough time to get there and order yet. I know this guy didn't work there, because he parked by the door where customers park.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I hate that! Go around me if you don't want to follow at a decent distance! HeWho used to tailgate people until I asked him how he would feel if someone did that to me or our one daughter wh drives cautiously, like her mother. I doubt it had an impact on his attitude. What really made him a better driver was working with the tow truck and seeing what happens when you drive too closely. I have never hurried to Taco Bell.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H does that, mainly on the highway, because he won't break the cruise control. He acts like he has to stop the car and jack it up to reset that cruise, rather than just pushing a button!

Sweet Gummi Mary! Today I was tailgated by a SIDE-BY-SIDE! He was going at least 55 mph, because that's what I was going! Not sure where he went, but it wasn't Taco Bell. Maybe Domino's. Followed me from the Dead Mouse Smelling Post Office all the way to Sis-Town. At least five miles.