Friday, October 21, 2022

Poor Pony Cannot Catch A (Non-Ankle) Break

I asked The Pony if he reported his fall yesterday. Just in case there are problems in the future from his resulting headache. Because if he goes to the doctor, he will have to report it as a work-related injury, or be subject to insurance fraud.

"Yeah. I told the manager I fell before I told you."

"Okay. So there's a record of it."

"Yeah. It's not that bad of a thing, but the closing manager said she saw the red patch and two scratches going down from it, there under the left eye. And my knees got a bit scraped, but not enough to bleed. I should be fine. I haven't actually been hungry today. But I went to Steak N Shake though. And forgot my jacket! Now they have a hat, and it."
 
"Can you get it back?"
 
"Presumably. Just need to remember to ask next time I go. The hat was months ago and a server said they found it a few trips back, but she wasn't sure where they'd put it."

"I guess you got another hat."

"Yep. Which is also MIA right now, but probably in my car."

"I'm sure you'll go back there within a week, and they should have your jacket."

"Yeah. I'm supposed to be over there doing that route tomorrow, so I might stop by to ask."

So the next day, I sent a text around 2:00 to remind Pony of the jacket.

"Still working. Haven't taken my break yet, planning to do it at the end and get the jacket and a to-go burger. If I've got time on the burger part anyway. I don't need to leave over here until 3:30 and I'm in the last hour of my route right now because possibly-concussed me walks fast."

While sitting at the bank drive-thru, I heard sirens and saw a fire truck go down the highway towards where The Pony was working. Of course, without my helicopter, I was worried.

"You okay? Sirens going to your area. Fire truck."

"Still? Hope that's a separate fire, several went by awhile ago at 2:30. So either a couple of them, or a pretty bad fire then. Clocked out, got my jacket. Ran into a manager at the Steak N Shake. Hadn't gotten the thing to order, so was just grabbing the jacket. She went 'Oh going through the drive though won't take ten minutes.' I just looked at the Metris. It took her a second."
 
"Even I get it! And I have never worked with right-hand drive vehicles!"
 
Because, you see, it is quite difficult to order at a drive-thru when you sit on the side of the vehicle opposite the menu, speaker, and window.
 
Poor Pony. He went without his burger, and had to make chicken patties and 8 slices of buttered toast at home! I'd say he's got his appetite back.

2 comments:

River said...

8 Slices of buttered toast! Wow. And chicken patties too. Glad he got his jacket back and wasn't caught up anywhere because of the fires.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The Pony even sent me a picture of the bread before he slid the tray into the oven. I, too, questioned the 8 slices. The Pony explained it was only enough for 3 chicken patty sandwiches, plus two slices as his side dish!

I was worried it might have been a car accident, since the fire truck responds to those, too. With The Pony driving a USPS vehicle over to Bill-Paying Town, you never know what could happen!