Monday, August 28, 2023

A Throwback Snap Of Jack

I haven't been able to get any recent photos of Jack. That's because Scarlett keeps my hands busy pointing at her and saying NO! NO! She likes to perch on the edge of the side porch, and lean out to put both front feet on my chest. Several times I have stepped back and let her topple over the edge. She's learning. Slowly. Although Sunday she laid down like I was going to beat her when I said NO and held out my palm meaning STOP. We had a good petting, though she was trembling with the effort of holding in her boisterous nature.

Anyhoo... here's a picture Farmer H sent me of Jack, perhaps from May 2022.


Jack is a chewer. I don't know where he got this treat, which is some kind of plastic jug or jar. If it's not up higher than he can reach, it's coming home with him for gnawing. 

There's Shackytown Boulevard behind him, with the Storage Container Garage in the background. The BARn is not in sight, but it's to the left of the Storage Container Garage, and about halfway of the distance there. That maroon structure is the old chicken house that Farmer H build our chickens. Which they eschewed in favor of roosting in the trees.

Jack has been feeling like his old self again. I am so relieved. He's my little buddy.

4 comments:

River said...

Scarlett needs toys she can chase and herd, I don't know of any and Jack is likely to chew anything made of plastic. You could probably teach her to help carry groceries, small things she can hold in her mouth and drop at the door for you. A bit like playing fetch but without you throwing stuff, although that game would be a good outlet for some of her energy too.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We had a couple of toys for Jack and Juno to play with. One was a heavy canvas critter with a braided rope "tail" with a knot on the end for throwing, or playing tug-of-war. Jack had it chewed up before the end of the day! I am leery of getting toys for them, after watching The Incredible Dr. Pol, and seeing how many dogs eat parts of their toys, and need surgery to remove stuff from their intestines.

At least Scarlett is now joining in with Jack and Copper Jack when they make their rounds, and have barkfests. She used to be a detached observer.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The only dog I currently have that likes toys is Bo. He has quite the collection of scruffy stuffed animals. He likes to get the squeaker out and will not destroy it after I have sewn it back together. He likes to fetch them and then shake them while he growls. Toni and Eddie just watch him and exchange looks with each other, like doting parents. They must think him to be quite juvenile! Scarlett is learning quickly, it seems to me. But I am not there and you are ....

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That toy Jack tore up DID have a squeaker in it. But I didn't sew it back together. I think it was a duck, and the squeaker was a quacker.

Scarlett is like a teenager. She will get away with what she can, even though I think she understands what is expected. I need to be quite firm with her to make an impression. She has NOT set foot in the kitchen again, after her initial treat-stealing faux pas. I think my unhinged tone got through to her. I have not needed my "persuader" at all. Scarlett might be confused because she is allowed to enter the garage, and also the BARn and the themed sheds on Shackytown Boulevard.