Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Grass Is Always Greener (Than The Pavement Of The Road)

The county road department must have a commissioner who lost his mind. Here it is, the week before all the schools start, and we're having road crews working and obstructing traffic! What a mess that will be if it continues on Monday. Not just for the buses, but for all the parents dropping off their darlings.

I thought I had outsmarted one crew. They've had one of those portable signs flashing for three weeks. The kind with the light-up message that scrolls. There's one by the prison as I head into town, and one across from Farmer H's old flea market as I am heading out of town. The message is that "Beginning Week of 07/31/23, Work Will Begin." Yeah. That's still the message, here on August 19.

We had the storms and rain during the week of July 31. But no road work was done the following week. Or the week after that. But THIS week, actual orange signs were set up proclaiming MEN WORKING, BE PREPARED TO STOP, and ONE LANE ROAD.

Heh, heh! I'd fool THEM! I turned just before I got to that part, to go past Mick the Mechanic's business, and turn onto the road by the bowling alley, then through two roundabouts to loop back into town beside the Gas Station Chicken Store. But NO! There were two crews working at the roundabouts! With narrow lanes. One-way, take your chances, no flagmen. 

Oh, and on Thursday, there was a new crew before the roundabouts and bowling alley. A big white dually truck parked in the road. With an orange sign that said DETOUR. Huh. There was no real place to detour. The only road that shoots off goes up by the elementary school. And it was a good 100 feet BEFORE the DETOUR sign. 

I was trying to figure out what to do. I supposed I would take the school road, but that would put me coming out in the middle of the other construction area with the one-lane road. I kept going. Slowly. Then notice the actual detour.

IT WAS THROUGH THE GRASS ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER!

Yep. That crew had set up the tall skinny orange cones, to make a little road in the grass. It was the weirdest detour I've ever seen. You had to drive off the edge of the road, and curve around in a semi-circle through the grass, and back up onto the road. I'm not sure why. It looked like maybe a patch of concrete had been poured across the road. I don't know what could be running under there. Nothing was wrong with the road in that area.

Anyhoo... I'm glad I'm not going to be driving through those areas during school start and stop times!

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That would make me stay home!! A major road is being 4 laned, has been under construction since we moved here. So far it just makes two lanes of traffic, but depending on the time of day it can be really busy. It will be 4 lanes until you get to Georgia, then crappy two lane roads. There is a cemetary you pass, part in North Carolina and part in Georgia.

River said...

Ah, roadworks. No one will ever understand why they do them when they do them. We have several major intersection upgrades that have been going on for almost three years now. And they don't work on weekends, it's a Monday to Friday job. Slackers!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Scratchers gonna scratch! I gotta get my tickets! I think I heard on the news that I-70 is going to widened to more lanes. And that it will take 3-5 years! Imagine the mess THAT will be!

***
River,
By the time they're finished, those intersections will need to be upgraded again!