Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Good To Know, But I Wish I Didn't

I was walking into the Gas Station Chicken Store on Tuesday afternoon, passing the area where I found three pennies and a bullet. A man had just come out the door. He was headed for his truck, but turned and came towards me. He motioned to the winning scratchers I had clutched in my hand.

"I notice you buying lottery here and at Casey's. I just wanted to tell you that my stepdaughter won $10,000 yesterday at the School-Turn Casey's!"

"WHAT? That's GREAT! What ticket?"

"It was a $20 ticket. She bought three. The first one won $500. The second one won $100. On the third one, she won all the prizes. As she started scratching them off, every prize was $500. She called me while she was scratching it, telling me the amounts. She was crying! She couldn't believe it."

"I'm really happy for her! Was it the new $20 ticket?"

"I don't know which ticket, just that it was the $20 tickets."

"That's great! I usually don't buy the 20s."

A girl on her way in had stopped to listen to the story. "I won $50 this morning on a $3 ticket. I've never won more than $100."

"Me either."

"I've won $1000. But never anything higher. That's fantastic! Just to know that it's possible to get a big winner around here."

Funny how I was in the School-Turn Casey's on Sunday, and actually bought one of the new $20 tickets. Loser. That jackpot wasn't meant for me!

Back home, I told Farmer H the story.

"Was he a big guy?"

"No. Kind of medium size. Not fat."

"But tall?"

"Yeah. He was pretty tall."

"And hunched over?"

"Maybe a little at the shoulders."

"Drove a silver truck?"

"Yeah."

"I KNOW THAT GUY! He used to be a wrestler a long time ago."

"Huh. Well. I'm happy for his stepdaughter. I hope she's one of those people who really need it."

"It that's them, yeah, they really need it."

She probably has a star by her name in Even Steven's ledger...

4 comments:

River said...

Good to know Even Steven spreads the love where it is needed.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, but I wish he would visit you more often. I'm fine with his absences. You are overdue for some luck.

River said...

for sure. Last night's $100 million powerball draw went to two other people, (congratulations to them) while I won just enough to buy a ticket for the Saturday night $20 million draw.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
At least you won SOMETHING! I've been buying a MegaMillions draw ticket, and have won a total of $0 over two weeks. That is for a daily ticket for me, and one for The Pony. The jackpot has not been won since April, and is now 1.1 BILLION dollars!

Just think, I could have bought every single ticket sold since the last winner, and STILL not won that jackpot! You can't win if you don't play, though, so until it's won, I'll buy a ticket.