Thursday, September 26, 2024

Farmer H Is The New Centipede

A few weeks ago, when Farmer H was having so much trouble with his feet, and had me order some special insoles... he said he also needed new shoes. He has been wearing Skechers for a couple years. He wears one pair until they are almost falling apart. I tell him he should alternate shoes, and that might help his feet feel better. That's what I did while teaching. I'd change to another pair after lunch. I kept them in my cabinet for that very purpose. It felt like I had new feet!

Anyhoo... last time I ordered shoes for Farmer H (he can't find the style he likes around here in the discount shoe stores), I got two pair of the same kind. He has worn out his second pair. Just when I was thinking I'd order his shoes the next day, Farmer H came in from his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2) carrying two pairs of Skechers. One was white leather with a little blue symbol on the side, kind of like a court shoe. The other was white mesh, more like the black style Farmer H likes, with a running/walking kind of sole. 

"Where'd you get those shoes?"

"They was in some stuff I traded one of my buddies at the lockers."

"They look new."

"They belonged to an old man that died. He didn't wear them much. I don't know if he even wore this one pair at all."

So... I was waiting to see if Farmer H wore those shoes, or still wanted me to order his. He wore the running style a couple days. I don't think he's tried the leather court shoes yet. But he DID ask if I'd ordered his shoes. I told him I'd been waiting, and that I would do it that day.

I searched my email for the confirmation on the last pairs I bought, to get the model number. The company I used to order them from has gone out of business. So I searched Amazon. Found the exact shoe, but in a 10.5 extra-wide instead of the 8.5 extra-wide that Farmer H needs. I found a slightly different color combo in an 8.5, but it was regular width. AND they both shipped from the UK, which would take two weeks. Nope.

I tried the official Skechers website. The only shoe I could find with that model number were WOMEN'S, and they did not look the same. The only thing that came up in my searches was on eBay. The model was one number off. The shoe looked the same, but was in gray, not black. It DID come in 8.5 extra-wide. It was on an eBay Commerce Store website. Said the shoes were new, in the box. 

I figured I should just order one pair, to see if Farmer H likes them. Then I thought how it had taken me an hour and 45 minutes to find this pair, so I might as well get two. I went through all the order stuff, deciding to pay with PayPal. That part went fine, then it sent me back to the eBay store. Which wanted me to prove I wasn't a robot, and click on a picture of a gorilla playing a saxophone. But that wasn't a choice, so I hit NEXT as instructed, and saw a picture of a roaring lion standing by a piano. This time it said to click on all "likenesses" of that photo. So I clicked on four roaring lions. Then it told me to finish my transaction on PayPal.

However... I was back to the order page, where I was not given a chance to SUBMIT or whatever word they use to finish a transaction. I was just trapped on that page. This was getting frustrating! I could have hired a cobbler to construct Farmer H a pair of shoes in this time! I clicked on the PayPal choice again. It took me back to PayPal. Where there was a button to complete my transaction. Which I clicked.

Well. You might have guessed by now. But I got two emails confirming my purchase. I HAD ORDERED FOUR PAIRS OF SHOES!

I don't expect Farmer H to grow three more pairs of feet. I'm hoping he likes these shoes, because he will be wearing them for a couple years! 

If he doesn't like them, there are going to be new shoes in the box for sale at his SUS2.

No comments: