Saturday, September 21, 2024

Goodbye, Wished-For Chips

When 10Box was a Country Mart, I loved getting "pinwheels" from their deli section. I'm sure I've typed their accolades here before. They are a sliced section of a tortilla rolled around cream cheese, ham, beef, cheese, tomato, and lettuce. So tasty! I add some green olives on the side, and unroll parts of the tortilla. So I'm left with lengths of a tortilla spread with cream cheese at the end. I eat that part with an individual bag of BBQ potato chips. The combination is divine!

Anyhoo... it's probably been at least a year since I had my pinwheels. Every now and then, I see them at Country Mart over in Sis-Town. Since I buy the big salads, and the cold fried chicken there, I have not gotten the pinwheels. Sell-By dates must be considered. We eat the big salads one day, then the fried chicken over two days. So that doesn't make time for the pinwheels for me.

Thursday, Farmer H didn't want a big salad or fried chicken. I found a new "boneless" pork rib for him, and got the pinwheels for myself. There was only one left! Oh, how I looked forward to that supper! I had olives left from making the deviled eggs when The Pony came out to grill on Labor Day. And I had a bag of assorted individual chips that included BBQ flavor.

Mmm! I was quite excited when I gathered my supper around 9:00 p.m., after Farmer H had gone to bed, and I had finished watching the season premiere of Jersey Shore Family Vacation. Yes. I love reality TV!

Anyhoo... I had my pinwheels on a paper plate. My green olives in a ramekin. And the individual bag of BBQ potato chips in a small styrofoam bowl. They were on the kitchen peninsula. I set my plate over to the table beside HIPPIE. Then the ramekin of olives. I picked up the foam bowl of BBQ chips, and DROPPED IT! 

What in the Not-Heaven? It's not like that was a heavy bowl! Or that I couldn't get a good grip. I have no idea how that bowl fell out of my hands. But it was tragic! I stood there, not believing what had transpired. Sweet Gummi Mary! I had been anticipating this meal for hours. Now my chips were trash!

I went to the laundry room and got the broom/dustpan combo. Swept up my chips. Dumped them in the wastebasket, not even considering that the dogs might have enjoyed them. I swear, I almost wept. Just one more thing to delay my supper gratification.

Lucky for me, there was another individual bag of BBQ chips in the multi-bag pack in the pantry. I put it into the same foam bowl, and CAREFULLY set it over on the table. 

Yes. That meal was delicious. I will look again for pinwheels when I go to Country Mart (for exercise!) on Sunday with The Pony. You can bet I will be especially careful with my chips, should I be lucky enough to get more pinwheels.

No comments: