Friday, September 6, 2024

My Hero Is Not The Brightest Bulb In The Marquee

Wednesday night, Farmer H's attention was caught by a bug flying around his recliner. He reached up his arms and clapped his hands, trying to smash it.

"WAIT! That's a WASP! It was in the kitchen yesterday, buzzing around the windows. I didn't have my flyswatter within reach. It's going to sting you if you clap it!"

"Huh."

The wasp retreated from the air wave from Farmer H's clapped hands. 

"It's over by the TV! Up on the bowling trophies!"

Farmer H picked up an envelope from something important I had given him to read, that he'd never bothered to throw away. He got up and went to the TV area. The wasp took flight again. Farmer H batted at it with his envelope several times. 

HOME RUN! Farmer H hit the wasp, and it went spiraling over to a cushion on the long couch. Farmer H went after it.

"WAIT! Don't pick it up! Here. Use this." I handed him a tissue from the box on the table beside the recliner. Tissues he had won at Senior Center bingo.

Farmer H grabbed that stunned wasp with the tissue, crunched it, and took it to flush in the boys' bathroom at the end of the hall.

MY FEARLESS HERO. Though not a mental giant sometimes...

4 comments:

River said...

Thankfully I have never had a wasp inside, because I don't have an envelope handy, nor a flyswatter, they're both kept in drawers. I do have a thong (flipflop) handy for spider-smacking, that could probably work for wasps.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, that's a suitable weapon! Wasps don't move as fast as a fly, and like to hover around, probably contemplating stinging us. Actually, I'd rather kill a wasp, because SOME spiders jump! And then there's the spider that had a million babies jump off of it when it landed from the ceiling onto the desk in my dark basement lair one night...

River said...

I remember spiders do that. I once smacked what I thought was a particularly fat spider and hundreds of tiny babies flew in all directions.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It's particularly terrifying when you realize that nobody is there to help you squish the multitude of baby spiders.