Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Scarlett's Progress

Our new used dog Scarlett continues to be a cypher. She has realized that she's a dog. That's the first step. Jack takes her with him on his rounds. Farmer H saw them way down at the bottom of his and Buddy's Badly Blacktopped Hill one afternoon as he came home. 

Monday, Scarlett was practically FROLICKING as I came down the driveway, joining in with the pair of Jacks, giving a couple barks. She is usually not very vocal. Copper Jack had a grin on his face, I swear! Like he's happy to have a new frenemy. Scarlett has also been charging across the carport to give chase to the squirrels they never catch. She has yet to jump into the fake fish pond with Jack to cool off.

I regret that I had to spank Scarlett a few days ago. Pretty sure it was Saturday, when we had that rain while I was in town. Farmer H had come out to the garage to help me carry in groceries. Scarlett came to T-Hoe's door as I was climing out. SHE JUMPED ON ME! A furry wet fleabag, not simply putting her paws on my waist(ish area), seeking a petting. But launching herself at me from a crouch, all four feet off the ground, nearly throwing me off balance.

I was shocked. The normal NO did not work! I shoved Scarlett down, and she did it again! At which point I whacked her on the shoulder mid-air, knocking her back to the ground. She hunkered down a minute, shocked herself, at her fall from favor, then trotted to the back of T-Hoe. Where constant NOs kept her grounded. I am not proud. I do not make a habit of striking my animals. But I am NOT a vertical trampoline, and Scarlett needed correcting. A time-out and lecture were not appropriate for that teaching moment.

Anyhoo... Scarlett holds no grudges like long-ago beagle Tank, who was forever getting his nose out of joint when scolded, and would give me the stinkeye for hours.

Scarlett had a heyday on Tuesday morning, when Farmer H went over to Shackytown Boulevard to load or unload stuff in a shed. When he got in SilverRedO to start to town, Scarlett ran after him! She never does that! Farmer H saw her in his mirror. He turned around at the bottom of the BBH (Badly Blacktopped Hill), and came back up the gravel road. Scarlett was halfway between the Mansion and the hill, trotting down the middle of the road. She followed him back to the Mansion, where the pair of Jacks distracted her with a lot of barking. She did not follow again as Farmer H left.

She has just been discombobulated since the weekend. In fact, on Tueday morning before Farmer H went out, we heard a giant THUMP outside.

"Them dogs has knocked something over."

Farmer H went to inspect. He came back with the news that Scarlett had knocked over the big log that is carved with our last name. It was a gift from HOS (Farmer H's Oldest Son) several years ago. It sits on the end of the porch, facing the carport. I guess Scarlett had jumped up onto the porch, and hit it, tipping it over. That is the leapingest dog I've ever seen! She skips the steps half the time. When I go out for town, I hear a big thump, and that is her leaping flat-footed from sidewalk onto side porch.

I hope it's just the fireworky atmosphere making Scarlett jumpy. It rained pretty hard on Tuesday around noon. Farmer H went out to sit on the front porch, and said Scarlett was pacing again. Then when he grilled some pork steaks in the evening, she paced some more. I think she has anxiety, but she was making a lot of progress fitting in with the Jacks.

She is very loving when calm, and will put her paws on T-Hoe's back bumper as I am gathering stuff to carry, and lean on me for a hug. She has learned not to put her paws on me (save that momentary lapse with the launching), but will bide her time until I can give her attention.

4 comments:

River said...

It's possible the fireworks are making her jumpy and a bit anxious, but then again, she is a working dog breed and they do jump and leap and run-far-and-fast. You did mention Scarlett is a young girl, so she has energy to burn without any actual work to do.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, Scarlett is young. She seems to be smiling now, and not withdrawn like when she first came here. She's definitely a leaper! I'm so happy that she can run around with the Jacks, and not spend her life confined to a kennel half the day.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Scarlett will learn eventually. She is trying her boundaries and finding out that it will be your way or the highway.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
She has made great progress, and only loses her ever-lovin' mind intermittently!