Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Doctor Was Finally In

Well, I'm good for another six months or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. I had my doctor's appointment this morning at 10:00. Doc must have streamlined his practice. I was out of there by 11:45.

My labs were perfect, blood pressure was good, I look younger than my years...and I need to exercise more. Three out of four ain't bad.

Mom rode along with me. I forbade her to go upstairs and sit in the waiting area. Sick people go there! I wanted her to sit in the gift shop and work her Sudoku book and chat with the volunteers. She said that she didn't want to. That she didn't know those old ladies. Which doesn't keep her from bending their ears when I go in there to buy a chicken. We compromised on letting her sit in the area between lab waiting and the radiology waiting area.

When I came down, Mom was sitting with her back to the lab area. Seems she had wondered if maybe I forgot she went with me, so she wanted to watch the main entrance/exit, lest I abandon her. Not that I would. I warned her it would take a long time. She should know that. My doctor is her doctor.

Doc and I had a nice little chat. That's why he takes so long. We touched on the subject of kids and their careers. His daughter is going to be an industrial engineer, and attends Mizzou. I told him about the #1 son wanting to go to MIT. Doc said that those big schools are not all they're cracked up to be, and that many silver-spoon-fed babies grow up to have no common sense. He added, "I shouldn't be telling you this, but I was not the smartest student in my class. I'm good enough, though, at what I do. Those rankings don't make all the difference. My daughter already has hundreds of offers of employment, and she's a college senior. " He's a real personable guy. He was a doctor in the U. S. Army. He's no-nonsense, a non-coddler, and calls it as he sees it.

I hope he doesn't retire any time soon.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Good for you! I hate stepping on the scales when I go. Nice that you have a doctor that takes the time to know you!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, hang onto that doctor. Once you find a good one, you need to promise them your second-born, to bribe them to never retire.

labbie1 said...

Your Doc sounds like a keeper! Few and far between to be sure!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The nurse actually called me in the other door because the doc was chatting with another doc in the inner hallway. I asked if it was a conspiracy to make me walk more, and she said, "Well, I didn't think you'd want to get weighed, so I called you in down here." She ROCKS!

*********
Sioux,
He can't have my second-born. That THE PONY we're talkin' about! Maybe he needs a lively little dog to keep him hoppin'.

*********
labbie,
He's a keeper. He's a weeper. But he's never a creeper. Seriously. When I was having thyroid issues, which another doctor was treating, Doc actually let a few tears slip out as he assured me that I did NOT need to wait four weeks for that test, what with it making me so apprehensive, and he scheduled one for me two days later.