Monday, February 6, 2012

The Wallendas Did It Better

For the first time in several years, I had homework over the weekend. That's what happens when you have two new textbooks, and miss a day of school, and people drop in to chat with you during the two hours you stay after on a Friday afternoon to catch up on work because you will be gone a day the following week.

That's how finely-tuned my routine is for staying abreast of my responsibilities. I don't walk such a tightrope that a single day off, or one afternoon of gossip, will derail my well-honed weekly schedule. But more than one anomaly will. Especially when a pile of work from two homebound students is found in my mailbox after my plan time, a yearly teacher evaluation appears on the near horizon, and I devote four days to the computer lab for science project research and typing. The parking lot duty before and after school on Mondays, along with the first Monday of the month faculty meeting, are just icing on the Keep Mrs. Hillbilly Mom Hoppin' cake.

Of course, none of this will enter my mind between May 16th and August 14th.

3 comments:

labbie1 said...

So someone is already looking forward to summer vacation when the words "school's out school's out, teacher let the monkeys out" float freely through the air. :)

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
Actually, we usually hear Alice Cooper's: "School's out for summer / School's out forever / School's been blown to pieces / No more pencils / No more books / No more teacher's dirty looks..."

labbie1 said...

Actually I thought about Alice Cooper's ode to school break, but it was after I hit publish! :)