Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Is This, Then, The Meaning Of "The Devil To Pay?"

This is SO not cool! It is the antithesis of cool. In fact it is hotter than not-heaven, it is so not cool.

Sunday night, I was working on my tax returns with my frenemy, TurboTax. I was humming right along like a rotary-engined Mazda, albeit a below the minimum speed limit Mazda, due to the three new 1099-R forms I had to account for since Mom's passing.

Around about 12:30 a.m., I was ready to call it quits. The next day was Monday, you know, and my duty day. Time to quit the fiddle-fartin' and get some shut-eye. I was through with the income, and in the early midst of the deductions. Unfortunately, I had not had time to tally the collegiate expenses of the #1 son, and the dual enrollment course costs of The Pony. Nor had I compiled a list of charitable contributions, or any of the various and sundry expenses that could reduce my tax bill.

But I didn't want to stop. I kept moving on, with the plan to revisit those deductions, in an effort to get even the tiniest of reductions. Do you know why, my friends? Why Mrs. Hillbilly Mom was so not-heaven-bent on saving a dollar, at that late (or early) hour?

It's because my current tax balance was SIX HUNDRED SIXTY-SIX DOLLARS!

Uh huh.

That's $666.

Yeah. No. I didn't want to log off with that balance owed. I tried. I really did. For another 40 minutes. But then I had to give up.

It's just a number...right?

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

As a wise blogger recently wrote, "There are no coincidences."

It's an Omen...

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yeah. Like...um...maybe it just means "the devil to pay." Right? Right?

****
fishducky,
Why does that not make me feel better?

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Scary, but so is the thought of Trump in the White House .....

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I have not faced that fear, because I never thought it was a serious possibility.