Wednesday, September 14, 2022

As Close To Home-Cooked As It Gets At The Mansion

The meat loaf turned out to be delicious! Even though I paid more than I used to for hamburger, it was really tasty hamburger! Not with water added like the Devil's Playground does. You can tell when it's cooking, when bubbly water rises to the top of the grease. I hate that! It means I've been duped! Duped into paying for WATER, not meat!

I used to buy my meat exclusively at Save A Lot. Only the one in Hillmomba. Not the one over in Sis-Town where my mom used to shop. I imagine it was okay there. I think they have a traveling butcher that goes between both stores. But I would have needed to drive my meat farther to get it home. Anyhoo... Mom always loved my chili, and each time would ask what made it so good, and my answer was THE HAMBURGER from Save A Lot. But I gotta say, the Country Mart hamburger is just as good.

I put that big blob of hamburger in a giant bowl. Made sure to crumble it so it wasn't clumpy. Shook a bunch of Worcestershire Sauce on it. Cracked three eggs into it. Sprinkled about a quarter-packet of dried onion soup mix over it. Tore a hot dog bun and half of another into small pieces, and tossed them in. Then I smooshed it all around to mix the ingredients. After that, I plopped the mass into a 9 x 11 glass pan for baking. 

Baby carrots, cut in half because they were not baby enough for my liking, got sprinkled around the perimeter of the meat loaf. I slid it into the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Then I took it out to stir the baby carrots around in the juice (okay, we all know it was the fat) and sprinkle on some Hidden Valley Ranch powder. I squirted ketchup on top of the meat loaf and spread it out evenly. Then back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

It came out great! I even allowed Farmer H to use a real plate. In fact, I had one myself. We finished it off with some instant mashed potatoes, the Loaded Baked Potato flavor. I didn't have milk to mash my own potatoes. 

We had leftovers the next night, and there will be a third night. During which actual baked potatoes will take the place of mashed. I have 10 lbs of potatoes to use, you know!

 
We don't skimp on portions! Looks good enough to eat, don't you think?

3 comments:

River said...

The meatloaf and carrots look delicious, but you can keep that instant mashed potato. I hate it. We ate it a lot when I was younger, right after the siblings came to visit one Easter and then just stayed instead of going back to mum. Dad would whip up a pack of the instant stuff because it was faster than peeling boiling and mashing the real thing. He used to come home at lunch time while we were in school and put a leg of lamb in the oven at a very low temperature and it just cooked itself all afternoon.

River said...

Oops, didn't finish that last sentence..."while Dad went back to work."

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I prefer REAL mashed potatoes. I even like them lumpy, so I know they're real potatoes. Sometimes with the skin left on. However... the boys never liked real mashed potatoes! In fact, they'd say, "We want mashed potatoes like Vicky (the daycare lady) makes!" So I had to get the potato flakes and make that kind.

Farmer H likes the instant just as well, and without any milk on hand, it made sense. And was also easier for me!

I've never had a leg of lamb, but if somebody came in and cooked it for me, I'd try it!